Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To Buy A 5" 625 Or A 4" 625?

RodeoClown

I'm wondering if most people shoot IPSC with the four inch or five inch barrel 625s. Does the one inch extra sight radius make that much extra difference for increased accuracy? My dilemma comes because I wanted to buy a Jerry Miculec 5", but found out there's only a four inch available now. So I'm wondering if it's worth it to go through the trouble of purchasing the regular 5 inch, and changing the grip and the front sight and have the cylinder machined for moonclips (I assume the regular models don't come machined for moon clips). Also, is the Jerry Miculek model a better gun, (i.e. a performance center type deal with handselected barrels, and other work for better accuracy?)

Any input is much welcomed.

~Julian

Clown,

Most IPSC shooters I believe use the 5" 625. I've never used a 4" so I can't tell you if it would make a difference. I don't think the difference between the 5" JM and the regular 625 is that great. If you get a FO front sight and a set of Miculek grips you'll be very close. All 625's are machined for moonclips, except the Long Colt mountain guns.

I'd suggest you go with the regular one, get a trigger job, sights and grips fo your liking and you'll be all set.

$0.02

For what it's worth.

I shoot a 4 inch gun. Although it is not a 625. I shoot a 610 using .40 cal.

Here is something to consider. I had never done any work on my guns before this one, but I purchased a video featuring Jerry Miculek, teaching how to do a trigger job on a S&W revolver. I did the work myself and found it to be very rewarding.

I have never felt like I needed an extra inch of barrel length, but I also have never shot a 5 inch gun in competition, and with a 4 incher, you could also use it to shoot ESR in IDPA.

Good luck with your choice, I think you will be happy either way.

DM

I'm wondering if most people shoot IPSC with the four inch or five inch barrel 625s. Does the one inch extra sight radius make that much extra difference for increased accuracy? My dilemma comes because I wanted to buy a Jerry Miculec 5", but found out there's only a four inch available now. So I'm wondering if it's worth it to go through the trouble of purchasing the regular 5 inch, and changing the grip and the front sight and have the cylinder machined for moonclips (I assume the regular models don't come machined for moon clips). Also, is the Jerry Miculek model a better gun, (i.e. a performance center type deal with handselected barrels, and other work for better accuracy?)

Any input is much welcomed.

~Julian

Shameless plug for my 625 and a 25-2 I added.

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

I've had the production 4 inch JM625-8 and a 5 inch PC625-8JM. Bangers still has PC 625-8JM 5" in stock.

Why did I switch. Well I wasn't happy shooting the 4 inch with factory loads, fairly snappy recoil. Plus sight radius was shorter than my 1911.

The Bangers JM has the mountain gun type cut underlug, also has real steel trigger and hammer.

So where did I end up. Sold 4 inch lost $100.00, on 5 inch I ended up replacing all the internals, Randy lee hammer, powers hand and stop, Miculek spring. Didn't like the smooth trigger and got old case hardened serrated one out of 80's parts kit. I may replace the cylinder with a TI? dumped the miculek grips because they were too small for me.

Got a DOH blade tech holster.

So if I had to start over, I buy cheapest 625-8 I could find and build from there. The 4 versus 5 well that's your call I like the 5 for factory loads. If I were reloading I say I could live with a 4 inch.

Wishy washy answer sorry, seems like guns never finished.

Go with the 5 inch unless you plan on shooting IDPA. I bought a 4 inch and really had trouble with the short sight radius. I could also notice a lot more flip.

All 625s are cut for moon clips. Hearthco makes a fantastic moon for it but you can also get them from Ranch Products.

4 or 5" is a personal preference, the 5" will help a bit with recoil.

I just looked at a guys 625JM at our local club. The cylinders were so rough you couldn't eject fired cases. You could see the tool marks in them, they almost looked like threads!!!

I wouldn't pay any extra for one. And a 4" standard 625 has a full underlug to help with recoil.