Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Rifle Scope Questions?

PistolPete

I have a JP rifle that has a Simmons Pro 1.5x5x20 scope on it. I'm not a fan of this scope as the eye relief for me just isn't good. I know many people love this scope but for me I just can't get it to work the way I would like. I'm sure this has something to do with me and not the scope.

Anyways, I was looking at the Trijicon Accupoint 1.25x4 with red module and absolutely loved it. I didn't have any issues with the eye relief and the lens is much more clear than the Simmons. It seems to be perfect for me. I would think this would be a better option than going with an Acog because of the fact it has a variable range as oppossed to a fixed 4 power. What are your opinions on this? I haven't used an Acog so I don't have personal experience with one. I'll try one before I buy a new optic for my rifle.

The other question I have is should I add a red dot to my rifle if I go with this scope or will this scope be fine without the red dot? I was thinking of adding the JP red dot to either the side of the handguard to replace my tactical sight or mount it on top of the scope. What are your thoughts here as well?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Pete,

Your problem with the Simmons had to do with the mounting of it. You need to check it at max power, in the prone position, to get the eye relief right. Then, take some time to use it! There is nothing wrong with the scope. I looked at Steve's Meopta and really didn't care for the K Dot. My only gripe with the Simmons is the coarse adjustments.

i went from a TA21 to the simmons. the accupoint was great for a single scope, especially the close stuff. i just couldn't shoot that diamond at long distances with holdovers...luv the "benny special", but also have an offset doctor for the close stuff.

i went from a TA21 to the simmons. the accupoint was great for a single scope, especially the close stuff. i just couldn't shoot that diamond at long distances with holdovers...luv the "benny special", but also have an offset doctor for the close stuff.

I also used a TA21 (not open class) I sold the scope as I found the diamond too large and the post annoying. Still looking for a replacement.

Gary

Dan I took your advice and moved the scope as far forward as I could and that made a world of difference. I haven't shot it yet this way but just trying it around my house out to about 300 yards in the prone position I didn't have any issues finding my target which happened to be a tree in the woods. I'll take it to the range this week and see how it is. I also noticed with it as far forward as I can get it the closer targets are much easier to see. So I guess I'll hold on to this scope for a bit longer and just add the JP red dot to the side of the gun and focus on getting an open shotgun. Then, maybe I'll come back to the scope again?

Pete,

If you really feel the need to spend money. Take a look at the Valdada 1.5 - 8 CQB illuminated reticle. If you don't like that one, I'll give you $.25 on the dollar :D That low cost Simmons really is a pretty decent scope. It allowed me good hits yesterday, my foot, took them away :(

Pete,

I've got a Diamond Pro 1.5X5X20 on my JP and love it. It's sitting on a LaRue SPR1.5. In fact, it replaced the ACOG I ordered with the gun. I also mounted a JPoint and a Matt Burkett mount just behind the LaRue. I had to use 4 shims to bring the sight up to where it was a natural point with both eyes open, but it works like a champ. If you ever want to unload the Simmons, let me know.