Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Spring Weight For 165-170pf In 45acp

alzo

I am working up a new (for me) load with 230gr Zero JHP's and N310 for use in USPSA Single Stack. Power factor will be 165-170, more likely 168-170. Is a lighter recoil spring called for with this type of load ? I have seen some recommendations for a 14lb spring.

I have no experience with lighter loads like this. I am used to standard hardball equivalent ammo and an 18.5lb spring.

I run a 14 most of the time, played with a 12 and it shows real promise but 14 works every time on time. I have a hard time messing with what I am used to when it works well.

Whether I run a buffer or not tends to hinge on what sort of mood I was in last time I had the gun apart. I certainly don't think they are needed with a 14 pound spring and the load you propose.

I only load my .45s now with 4.0 grains of Clays under the Precision Bullets 230 gr round nose. I get about 775 fps depending on the gun and have used an ISMI 16# spring with this combo for years...

Mick

A27257

Buy several and see which one suits your style. I run an 11# spring in my Kimber. A 12.5 works for me also. Remember, the lighter you go the more accurate the feed cycle has to be. A heavy spring will mask feed problems.

One method to try is to buy a spring pack (like the Wolff product) that comes with one each of a range of weights.

Put a new shock buff in your gun.

Start at one step below where you are now and try to do you best double tap. Note the distance between the holes.

Step down one spring and repeat the process.

Find the spring that gives the best (smallest) spread.

Put another new shock buff in and go to a match. Inspect the buff after every stage.

Find the balance you like best. In my hand a 9 lb spring in my .40 gives the best double tap, but the buffs won't make it through some long stages.

I can get about 500 rounds on a buff with a 13# variable rate spring. That's what I run in my Limited gun. The Wife runs the 9# in her Open, and I lose the buff before it wears out.

When buff life drops off, replace the spring with a new one.

Edited by Waltermitty

Really good advice here from wise sages. When I get a lot of good range time again, I'll have to try Waltermitty's method.

I'll add my experience even though I'm neither wise, nor a sage. I too am used to factory hardball loads in competition, but I wanted to try a walk on the wild side. I experimented with 168-172 pf with Clays with a 14# spring and didn't like it. I didn't like the way the slide cycled. I wasn't timed to it. It didn't feel right. So, here's what I'm going to do. I bought a more versatile powder. I wanted AA#2, but Sportsman's Warehouse was out, so I went with Power Pistol and I'm going to work up a load that's feels slightly lighter than the softest factory load that I've found (which is Wolf) using a VP 16.5# spring and go from there. Get used to it, then gradually take it down a step at a time until I don't like how the gun cycles any more.

That's my plan. I personally just really don't like the way a .45 cycles at 170pf with a 14# spring, but that's just me.

p.s. if you shoot indoors, Clays is really smokey even with FMJ.

Edited: cause I forgot to spell check.

Edited by Steve J

I just had a problem running a 14# spring and a buff. The gun would not release the slide if racking from slide lock. I removed the buff and all worked as it should.

My question is if your running lower than a 14# spring and a buff can you rack your slide from slide lock?

Usually not. There's a mechanical limit to how far the slide moves on the frame, the shok-buff goes in between causing the slide to hit it rather than the frame. The end result is that with a shok-buff installed the slide won't come back as far, and that is why you can't "slingshot" the slide. The only time the spring or spring weight is involved is if the spring is "coil binding" and that's a VERY rare condition.

Ed

I just had a problem running a 14# spring and a buff. The gun would not release the slide if racking from slide lock. I removed the buff and all worked as it should.

My question is if your running lower than a 14# spring and a buff can you rack your slide from slide lock?

10-4 thats what I figured, just like to have somebody tell me I'm right sometimes :P

• 2 weeks later...

Really good advice here from wise sages. When I get a lot of good range time again, I'll have to try Waltermitty's method.

I'll add my experience even though I'm neither wise, nor a sage. I too am used to factory hardball loads in competition, but I wanted to try a walk on the wild side. I experimented with 168-172 pf with Clays with a 14# spring and didn't like it. I didn't like the way the slide cycled. I wasn't timed to it. It didn't feel right. So, here's what I'm going to do. I bought a more versatile powder. I wanted AA#2, but Sportsman's Warehouse was out, so I went with Power Pistol and I'm going to work up a load that's feels slightly lighter than the softest factory load that I've found (which is Wolf) using a VP 16.5# spring and go from there. Get used to it, then gradually take it down a step at a time until I don't like how the gun cycles any more.

That's my plan. I personally just really don't like the way a .45 cycles at 170pf with a 14# spring, but that's just me.

p.s. if you shoot indoors, Clays is really smokey even with FMJ.

Edited: cause I forgot to spell check.

[/quo

Steve ..you shoot a Baer???..i shoot a PII and when i drop down to a 14# spring..it will knock the fiber optic off after 10 to 12 rnds...i shoot ww231 at 169pf to 172 pf and just like using the 16 # spring with a buff...like the snap and the front sight lifting....whenevere i watch it.. <_<

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hiya Alzo,

if you don't mind I'd like to try your "recipe"...could you please let me know the powder (N310) weight?

TIA

Cheers

Manu

I settled on the 3.8gr charge listed below. All are COL=1.215", 0.469" crimp. I stuck with my 18.5lb spring and haven't had any problems. These velocities are from a 5" Kimber. I get about 7fps less from my 5" Wilson.

Viht N310, Zero 230gr JHP

3.8gr 729fps

3.9gr 754fps

4.0gr 770fps

4.1gr 781fps

4.2gr 801fps

Edited by alzo

The only time the spring or spring weight is involved is if the spring is "coil binding" and that's a VERY rare condition.

Ed

Is is rare, but it does occur. I have found at least one brand new spring still in original packaging that had coil bind even without a buffer (checked with a SDM spring tester).

• 4 months later...
Usually not. There's a mechanical limit to how far the slide moves on the frame, the shok-buff goes in between causing the slide to hit it rather than the frame. The end result is that with a shok-buff installed the slide won't come back as far, and that is why you can't "slingshot" the slide. The only time the spring or spring weight is involved is if the spring is "coil binding" and that's a VERY rare condition.

Ed

You can still slingshot the slide if you cut some of the spring coils off. This give you back the space you lost when installing the shock buff.

You can still slingshot the slide if you cut some of the spring coils off. This give you back the space you lost when installing the shock buff.

Not true

Shock Buffs do not change the spring space. They do reduce the slide travel.

Edited by wide45