Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Shotgun Comp

PaulW

• 2 weeks later...

I shot with a couple guys last year that had them. They love them. One guy said he could shoot it with the butt against his nose with no problem. I didn't ask him to prove it though! How he determined this is something I don't even want to know. It looks like a neat idea, and in theory should work. They had zero malfunctions in a 200 round minimum match.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a JP on my 1100 and it shoots really flat no matter how fast you pull the trigger the gun does not climb.  I don't feel that it lightens the recoil all that much and hardly at all with slugs.  I have not tried it with the reduced recoil slugs so many people at the 3 gun nats were using.  I do not have a complete JP gun just the comp installed on my gun.  My gun is sensitive to loads though and after about 150 rounds I have to clean the recoil/gas rings as it begins to have stopages.   My buddy has an 1187 he bought from JP and his runs like crazy no matter how dirty.  There are some differences like the mag tube is chromed or something and the gas system is a bit different.  All that said it shoots flatter than any other ported or comped shotgun I have seen or shot.

• 2 months later...

Yep I be TMC's buddy.

I don't know about putting the butt against my nose and pulling the trigger.  Seems like that would hurt and make me cry like a little girl :)

Yes the comp does work.  It works even better if you angle drill 2 rows of 10 - 13 ports on ONE side of the gun.  Right handers port the right side, lefties port the left side.  What this does is keeps the gun from rolling up and to the side.  The sights stay right on the target no matter how fast you try to empty the gun.

One other thing.  Try to shoot clean loads.  I was using the cheap Remington game loads (3.25 dram, 1.125 oz shot, #8) and they leave alot of plastic in the barrel, which works its way into the comp and plugs it up after about 250 rounds.

Thanks guys, good info.  

Do you think that it works better on any 11-87 than it does on any 1100?  Or, might the difference be that JP did the work?

I guess I am asking if there is a difference in the two model shotguns that lets the comp work better in one?

Be careful about drilling holes or "ports" in the 21 inch Special Purpose 11/87 barrels. They don't have the gas regulating system of the longer barrels. You will have low gas pressure and the gun may be unreliable. You can open the gas orifices and get reliable functioning but at the cost of slamming the action due to the resulting higher cycling velocities which will result in parts breakage eventually. It was no accident that Remington made these barrels no shorter than 21 inches. Someone, no doubt, knows how to overcome these problems and I would like to ask him how to do it. With the 21 inch barrels you have to run the same power level of amunition for whatever orifice size you have in your barrel. I suspect even the longer self regulating barrels would have problems if you start drilling holes in them.

Quote: from Lee Watne on 10:36 am on Sep. 3, 2001

Be careful about drilling holes or "ports" in the 21 inch Special Purpose 11/87 barrels. They don't have the gas regulating system of the longer barrels. You will have low gas pressure and the gun may be unreliable. You can open the gas orifices and get reliable functioning but at the cost of slamming the action due to the resulting higher cycling velocities which will result in parts breakage eventually. It was no accident that Remington made these barrels no shorter than 21 inches.

I have one of the Remington 18" 11-87 Police barrels.  They make factory 14" barrels as well.  As you note, all barrels below, I think, 26" are NOT pressure compensated and one either needs to use reasonably heavy loads or get the gas ports enlarged.  

Lincoln