Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Reload Rifle For 3-gun?

Jeff Matzka

Military brass, Sierra 52 or Nosler 55 Ballistic Tip, H335, Remington 7 1/2 primer. My rifle likes H335 on the warmer side. The good bullets are for longer distance, and /or small targets. The close stuff gets some Remington 55 JHP's instead. Got a box of 4000 a while back.

Edited by Dan Sierpina

For under 100 yards, I load 55 FMJBT over surplus 4895. Don't expect MOA from these...

For over 100 yards or precision work (not much of this in Michigan), I load 69 BTHP (Sierra or Nosler) over N135 or 77 BTHP over RL15. I use moly coated bullets because these loads are just carried over from High Power, when I did a bunch of testing and development and settled on using moly.

I use Rem 7 1/2 primers. My cases show pressure signs before the primers do with Rem primers, so work up carefully.

There are many folks that think CCI primers and Varget work very well together. In my testing (before I knew about the CCI/Varget interaction) I did not get good results with Varget (Rem, Win, and Fed primers), but got great results with RL15 and Rem primers.

Billski

I run pretty economical with a Bulk 55gr Win FMJ and 24.3 AA2230C for 2840fps and they go into the A zone from 25 to 200 yards. Through a MEGA/Stag home build, Aimpoint ML3. Totally and completely addicting.. Just ran it in a local 3 gun Sun. HHjr

I only reload rifle for "accuracy" stuff or > 100 yds.

Most of the factory bulk packs with a 55 gr bullet perform well for the upclose and personal stuff. At about 0.21 each it is hard to justfiy loading at 0.195 ( 0.06 bullet + 0.015 primer + 0.06 case +0.06 powder )

Thanks for the replies. Varget and 2230 seems to be the top 2 - so I'll give one of those a try. I've been using Winchester 55 gr. PSP w/AA 2015. Shoots inside a dime at 100 yds., but breaks up quite a bit over 200. I want to switch to the Sierra MK 69 gr. HPBT or similar to hopefully hold tight out to 300. I've heard good things about the Sierra. Thanks again. B)

...Varget and 2230 seems to be the top 2...I want to switch to the Sierra MK 69 gr. HPBT...I've heard good things about the Sierra...

Can't go wrong with this combo. 25gr of Varget under a 69gr SMK, sparked with a Fed 205GM, in commercial cases goes 1/2"-5/8" at 200 yds out of my 20" Oly UltraMatch upper (say what you want about Oly Arms - their barrels are awesome...)...

post-4314-1158168375.jpg