Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rechargeable Batteries In Pact Mk Iii

For about 10 years now I have been using rechargeable NI-MH batteries in my two PACT MKIII Timers. They work fine for training and dry-firing, but I have noticed that they both have problems with the chrono when using rechargeables or even alkalines that have an hour of timer use on them.

Has anyone else found the problem ? And has anyone else tried a 9.6 volt rechargeable in their PACT.

I do roughly 20 hours of dry fire training and about 6 hours of live fire per week over PPC, Action Pistol and Air Pistol, so I save a reasonable amount through the rechargeables.

I noticed similar problems using rechargeable batteries in my PACT. It kinda concerned me at the time. An electronics guru at work advised that unless recommended by the manufacturer, do not use rechareables in their electronics. He showed me a manual for a digital camera that indicated rechargeable batteries were not to be used and would in fact void the warranty.

I didn't want to fry the electronics so went back to Duracels. I buy them in bulk at the local Sam's club.

I don't use nearly as many batteries as you do, but it will take a lot of batteries to offset the price of a new timer/chrono.

I bought my Pact Timer/Chrono in 1985, and its still going strong.

Bill

A lot of "9v" rechargeables don't get over 7 or 8 volts... that could be part of it if voltage is important to the chrono.

I think that the problem is the 8.4 volts that the 7 cells produce - that's why I was going to try an 8 cell batery - they are rated at 9.6 volts.

I just didn't want to fry one MkIII in the name of experimentation. :(