Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Way To Mount An Accupoint

Blockhead

Just purchased a new JP-VTAC upper from a friend. He also offered me a great price on a TR21R Accupoint optic. Anybody have any suggestions on the best way to mount the optic on a flat-top upper? I don't want to spend a fortune. All the same, I'd kinda like to get it right the first time.

Also, how important is it for the optic/mount to be removable from the upper?

Thanks,

CB

Edited by Blockhead

The long eye-relief of the TR21 requires an extended scope mount.

I've used the YHM mount ($35)

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/bmas/yhm-9474.asp

but currently use the extended rail from MSTN (~$75-80).

For rings I've use the the ARMS #22 low rings with reducers ($130+) and ended up with Leupold PRW rings (~$40).

http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe/searc...rds=leupold+prw

Also, how important is it for the optic/mount to be removable from the upper?

Not very. I avoid them now as I've found out that I don't have the discipline to leave them on. :P

I've used IOR and the ARMS#22 QD rings and I've found that the zero's shift at least .75+ MOA. I'm sure someone will tell you here that the Larue or X brand QD rings don't shift. But I just don't trust QD rings or bases. I've spent too much time walking the 100 and 200 yard lines to confirm my POI and too much time in load development to tolerate any zero shifting.

Blockhead- I had the same gun and scope with the YHM rail and Leupold QRW rings.

Forget about the YHM mount , I could not get my shots to stop moving in the elevation

direction . I took the YHM rail off to verify the problem and the verticle stringing

problem ceased. I could not tighten it enough to stop it from moving.

You get what you pay for. Go with the larue one piece mount and you won't look back.

Craig

+1 on the LaRue mount. I had the same scope with the LaRue SPR-E mount, and it was perfect. I've since sold the Trijicon and switched to a Leupold Mark 4 with ARMS #22 rings on the flat top, and it lacks just a hair of the eye relief that I would like. I should have kept the LaRue !!!

Edited by STInky

I have used the SPR-E and the PRI/MSTN riser. The PRI/MSTN riser with a set of rings offers a little more flexibility with the accupoint's long eye relief. I use the PRI/MSTN mount with Simmons scopes on a couple of rifles. The Larue has less parts and pieces. I wish the SPR-E was just a touch longer, then it would be perfect.

Edited by rpmwfo

Thanks for the input! The photos were a big help (pictures worth a thousand words...). After thinking it over, and over; I decided to get the LaRue SPR-E mount & rings. The $$ for a base/rail/rings setup was closing in on the LaRue price so I decided to go with it.

Hopefully UPS won't let me down and I can get the scope mounted and bore-sighted tomorrow night. I hope to spend some time getting the setup zeroed after our Saturday Pistol match at Pala.

Spent some time on the phone with a couple of guys talking about the TR21R scope. One friend pointed out that the "post" below the fiber-optic triangle can obscure targets when I have to hold high (say at 350+ yd.s). He suggested I zero at 300 and then work my way closer to find out where to hold at various ranges. :unsure: Any additional suggestions on the process are appreciated.

Thanks again for all the help.

I think the 300 yard zero is a good system for the TR21. That's what some iron sight users use. But you are about 5" high at about 150-200 yards with 55's and to me it's not a "aim at COM and squeeze" system. You have to think more.

If your TR21 tracks reliably (mine unfortunately did not) you might want to consider using the conventional 50 yard zero where the COM sight picture can be utilized pretty much to 280 yards with the targets that you normally see in 3 gun. At 300-325 yards you would aim at the top of the target with the 50 yard zero.

Come time when you have those stages with 325+ yard targets you should adjust the elevation on the scope to the 300 yard (or whatever) zero. This (again) is assuming that your TR21 tracks reliably. Mine did not track 1/4" as advertised and elevation changes also changed the windage.

While there are some that don't, the Accupoints should track correctly. Most do, but Trijicon should be helpful with a replacement if you contact them about it. One caution, the erectors are square to the adjustment turrets, not the post in the reticle. If you are seeing windage shifts when you change elevation it is likely because of that. Usually happens when the scope is aligned with the post vertical without respect to the turret orientation. Ideally they would be the same, but this is a problem in a lot of scopes, not just Accupoints.