Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking For A Book And A Video For Sporting Clays

Tangram

Might want to go to www.shotgunworld.com and "rumage" around.

Search for videos, etc and see what people have bought. Read some of the forums, etc.

If you are "brand new" to shooting moving targets, then I'd look for something more basic, stance, lead, skeet, etc. Then move on to sporting.

After looking around some. I bought Breaking Clays by Chris Batha. It contains many useful illustrations and is clearly written. It seems to me to be well organized and a book useful to a beginner like me. Of course being a beginner...

One tip from the book: He suggests dropping a maglight into the muzzle as part of dry fire practice.

For now, I'll dry fire and break a few clays. My third trip to the shooting grounds (I took a three hour lesson to get going.) I had mixed results on a couple sporting stands. ... had more satisfaction, I broke more clays, on a "Quail" game.

If you can find a skeet field where you can practice, use those cheap rounds of skeet to practice various shots.

Stand on station 4 and pick a house to work on. When you can break a few, take five steps back and see what it looks like. When you can step ten paces back on 4, and break four or five targets in a row, you'll be ready to tackle any crosser within reason on a Sporting Clays course.

Skeet fields are great training grounds for Sporting.

• 1 month later...

This is follow-up to my own question asking for a video recommendation.

"Shotgun Coaching from Argentina with John Woolley" seems to be an excellent DVD.

The main part of the program is about 6O minutes long and focuses on form from the ground up. The lessons are shown against a back drop of dove hunting in Argentina. In addition, to make Woolley's ideas clear, 3D animated segments are used. These segments alone are worth the (rather high) price of admission. I believe for sporting clays or wing shooters this video merits serious consideration.

An area not covered is gun fitting (other than Woolleys belief that it is critical to have a shotgun that fits). The main thrust of the presentation is toward an English instinctive style of shooting. It is not a video that takes you through 9 different sporting clays presentations or choke sellection. The folks that put it together maintain their focus on picking up shotgun, pointing it at a target and pulling the trigger.

You wrote "+1 for Gil and Vicki Ash...OSP...they are cool people and good instructors." They are the next folks on my list. I will do my sponge routine on Woolley's video first. Then look towards getting their practice video.

I am trying to limit the "look at material" and do the do it stuff. I'd be pleased to take lessons from the Ashes, but they are a couple thousand miles from me. In the meantime I'll continue working with Chuck and Matt Dryke who live down the road from me. :D

• 1 month later...

I back-slid one evening and ordered yet another DVD, John Bidwell's Shotgun Magic. It features his version of move, mount, and shoot. He is the only person on the video and it offers the opportunity to see one way of doing it right. Woolley's DVD (see above) gives ample opportunities to see it done... err wrong and the corrections needed.

Irishlad is right. It is lots more fun and effective to go down the road to the Dryke's place chanting, head on stock, eyes on the rock. It is so simple; I will keep working on it.

Edited by Tangram