Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's Involved To Switching My Rifle From Tactical To Open?

PistolPete

I started shooting open this year with my Brazos gun and absolutely love it. Since I enjoy open pistol so much I've decided to switch all my gear over to the open division. I have a JP CTR-02 AR15 that has a scope on top with a tactical backup sight for close range. I was thinking the only thing I would need to change on this rifle would be the scope. I was looking at the JP/Acog scope that includes the J point optic and an Acog scope. Would this be a good setup or should I look at something else? If I go this route should I remove the tactical sight or keep it on?

Here is my current rifle setup:

Riflenew002.jpg

Let me know what you recommend to bringing this guy into the open division. Should I invest in a drum mag?

Thanks,

Pete

ps. See my shotgun post for tips on that gun as well

Pete,

Look at the rule book....see what's allowed.....determine what you want to add. The biggest change will be the addition of another optic, and a bipod. Take a look at Mark Mazzotta's AR at the Area 7 3 gun. He has a C-More added to the top of his scope, and a bipod. Otherwise it's virtually the same gun I use.

That's good to know. I already have a bipod for this gun. When I built this gun I wasn't sure which optic I wanted and didn't want to spend $1000+ and end up buying the wrong optic. The Simmons scope is decent but I def. want something better. It's sad to put a $100 scope on a $3000 rifle. I'm hoping to check out other scopes next weekend at the Area 7 3 gun and make a decision from that on a scope.

Pete

That's good to know. I already have a bipod for this gun. When I built this gun I wasn't sure which optic I wanted and didn't want to spend $1000+ and end up buying the wrong optic. The Simmons scope is decent but I def. want something better. It's sad to put a $100 scope on a $3000 rifle. I'm hoping to check out other scopes next weekend at the Area 7 3 gun and make a decision from that on a scope.

Pete

Why is it sad? If it works and costs you less cash, go with it! Look at all the other 3 gunners running the simmons pro diamond scope, which costs under $100 if you could find the right deal. Actually you may not even need the second optic. Its only used for the short shots anyway, just learn to aim at the top of the head on close headshots and center mass on full targets. And make sure you zero at 50 yards, this will put you on at 200 yds as well.

Pete, check out my Meopta next week. I'm going to shoot it in Open and I'm pretty sure it will be my only optic. I haven't tried a Jpoint, but for me, I see it as a toss up and lean towards one optic to keep it simple. Being a new rifle shooter, I have enough to think about. With the Meopta, I just have to remember where my short range hits go and the reticle with with the verticle line makes that pretty easy. With a second optic, I have to make the decision where to use it and then execute that switch over, and maybe switch back. Where my game is now, I have trouble doing that kind of stuff and being smooth about it.

I was at the gunshop yesterday and they sell a few different red dot sights. We decided to mount one in place of the tactical sight. It was really cool. I think I would want to add a C-More in place of the tactical sight and possible replace the scope on top. The Simmons scope is good but I've use some other scopes that a much better. Hopefully I'll be able to check some out next weekend at the A7 3 gun match.

Pete

IMO, the JPoint is the best red dot for handguard mounting because it sit's lower than any others. This puts the dot closer to the bore axis and this means less POI to POA offest on close targets. I can hold pretty much right on the upper A for CQ targets that need upper A/B hits as opposed to holding over the top of the target to get an A like a C-More will require.

My wish list would include a bipod, mid to long range optics on a see-through scope mount, and a dot sight visible through the see-through. I like the JP muzzle brake, and with the current laws in most states you could mount it on a threaded barrel so you could change the rifle back to Tactical or Standard (if you're going to shoot one of those Divisions in a national or internation match, for instance).

Edited by richardschennberg

Get ahold of Burkett and see if he has any of his JPoint mounts available. They mount on the upper rail and offset a little to the right. Seemed really quick when I looked at it at the MGM. It's also less likely to get beat to snot then an electronic sight on the forend. Especially with the grounding boxes/tubes/corners or whatever being used more frequently for hot grounding. I would NOT mount a JPoint on the handguard just for that reason.

I like my JPoint on the handguard. But I buck the trend and mount mine at the rear of the handguard right in front of the receiver. This keeps it outa' the way of props and also keeps the dot closer to the bore than Matt's mount by about a quarter inch.

I really don't understand why most folks mount dots and handguard irons way out front on the handguard so that they get in the way. All the way back against the receiver is where this stuff belongs IMHO.