Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Chronograph To Buy

Hehe, I was thinking about getting a piece of hardox steel somehow attached in the front of the thingy... Just in case! ^_^

Edit: Ok, chronoing .223 is scary. I needed to shoot really low over the sensors. I hope it becomes easier in the summer, I guess the snow on the ground makes it more difficult for the chrono, at least it says so in the manual. Pistols worked well though. Well, 223 is too small a bullet anyway, I'll try 7.62 next.

Edited by askomiko

• 2 months later...

I had one of those.. perfect for my use.

Easiest thing to set up (just unfold and turn it on) I've ever used.

I could see the display fine.. no need for the remote display.

After a friend shot it.. I started using the Pact I had gotten. Until then.. there was no need. I prefer the pact for the averages, and stuff it does, and the printer.. but for quick chrono just to check quickly.. I wish I still had the Alhpa..

I would suggest the CED setup. I have been reloading for 10 years and have gone through 2 Shooting Chrony Betas, a PACT, and finally the CED. In my experience, the shooting Chronys are much more susceptible to variations in ambient light than either the PACT or the CED. Because of this I never had much confidence in the result from the Shooting Chronys, if I was not happy with the numbers all I had to do was wait a day and try again and they would change :) I have had the CED for a year now and it has been rock solid reliable and repeatable and seems to be close to the setups at matches that it has been tested against. If you want a Chrony Beta, I have one that I am willing to sell. PM me if interested.

• 2 weeks later...

"I could see the display fine.. no need for the remote display."

After reading the chrony site, and a few of the online resellers customer reviews I thought I'd start with a Chrony F1. I agreed that I could read the display from 10' away, and with the optional remote control (which I built). The web manual listed that one could clear the string data with the remote. So I could shoot, get the data, and shoot another string without needing to touch the unit.

The web manual is out of date, and the unit needs to be power cycled. Some frustration with Chrony as they kept telling me to read the manual in the box. I bought the product based on their online lit. The issue I had was not failure to operate, it was missed expectations.

So back it went, the seller is exchanging it for the master version which should work OK. Kudos to http://www.rockfordgunseller.com/.

• 2 months later...

The Hell with it. I shot my ProChrono Digital and thought I should consider another brand/model but after reading all the different pros and cons for the cheapest all the way up to the most expensive Chronos its to crazy.The so called better chronos seem to have as many problems as the cheap ones if you read this thread,so I ordered another ProChrono Digital. Atleast as far as I know it worked fine and cheap also.

• 1 month later...

I spent a day using a CED M2 and what a piece of shite.

The second one quit completely and the first one was doubtful in it's readings.

The ONLY good thing that I can say about it is that calculating PF's is easy.

You couldn't give me one.

• 2 months later...

:cheers: So after reading and reading, and looking and looking, there's a Beta Master chrony on it's way from midwayusa.

Thanks for all the info. If I have any problems I know where to come.

It looks like it's the same color as all the other blue stuff I bought from Brian.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Oelher with infra red if you can stand the price.

and if a buddy has one, don't shoot his screens.....I'm just saying :roflol:

Oehler makes infra red screens, if so I'll have to buy a set for mine but all I see on the website are lighted screens.

Bill

Which one is considered better? Chrony M1 Master, or Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital? I'd buy a CED M2 but it's triple price. :mellow:

I highly recommend the Competition Electronics ChronoPro Digital. I had a new Chrony F1 and had a very tough time getting reliable readings under any circumstances. It was so bad I thought it was defective, so I exchanged it for another. Same result.

Then I returned it and got a ChronoPro Digital. It's like night and day. The thing just works. Sunny or cloudy, in a covered area or open sky (never tried indoors). I mean it work EVERY shot. No fiddling, no muss, just set it up turn it on and shoot. The shot string review and average/SD functions are kind of handy too. You can shoot a string of 10 or whatever, then go up to the chronograph and record them all.

I have a friend who bought one after seeing mine, he's very happy with his too. Both of ours are within 1-2fps of each other, and they read the same as or if anything just a few fps slower (which is a good thing) than the high-end ones they use at major matches.

+1 to CED M2

Recently purchased on, and have used it indoors only so far (with IR screens).

It wil pick up a .177 cal pellet without a problem, never have had it miss a shot.

Which one is considered better? Chrony M1 Master, or Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital? I'd buy a CED M2 but it's triple price. :mellow:

I highly recommend the Competition Electronics ChronoPro Digital. I had a new Chrony F1 and had a very tough time getting reliable readings under any circumstances. It was so bad I thought it was defective, so I exchanged it for another. Same result.

Then I returned it and got a ChronoPro Digital. It's like night and day. The thing just works. Sunny or cloudy, in a covered area or open sky (never tried indoors). I mean it work EVERY shot. No fiddling, no muss, just set it up turn it on and shoot. The shot string review and average/SD functions are kind of handy too. You can shoot a string of 10 or whatever, then go up to the chronograph and record them all.

I have a friend who bought one after seeing mine, he's very happy with his too. Both of ours are within 1-2fps of each other, and they read the same as or if anything just a few fps slower (which is a good thing) than the high-end ones they use at major matches.