Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Chronograph To Buy

After reloading for a while I,ve decided to get a chronograph. Any suggestions on which one? I don't mind spending the money as long as it's reliable and accurate. It will be used outdoor for pistlols. Thank you, Brent

Start here

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=145

Personally, I have a CED unit and it works great for ~$100.

No printer ability and you have to wave your hand over the sensor after a string of fire to get the average but you can't beat it for the price. Others here have mentioned excellent service experiences with CED.

Oh yea, and they sponsor matches.

• 10 months later...
I just got the Chrony beta model.....I will let you know how it works.

You will like it. If you have access to an indoor range who lets you chrono, I'd suggest the light kit. Works very well.

I use the Shooting Chorny F1. Paid $80 something (I think). It can be upgraded with the printer and remote, etc if needs require. I doubt mine will. I just note velocities of 3 or 4 batches of twenty. Works just fine. I wonder why it took me so long to get one. Considering I might have loaded 150,000+ rounds for a BIG variety of plinking guns, never "chorno'd" a single round. :wacko:

Jim

I have a Shooting Chrony Beta Master. I have been very happy with it and it cost me less than $100 on eBay. I definitely am happy that I bought the master version with its remote control and viewing module. As for the other bells and whistles that more expensive chronographs have, I have not missed them. This has a ten string memory even after you turn it off so the printer is of little use. I made up an Excel workbook that lets me enter the data from the Beta Master unit. Most of the calculations needed are done by the unit. However, Excel allows you to make any additional calculations you may want.

I don't really need to use it that often. When I do, it sets up very quickly and it is very compact when not in use. I have used the screens and they seem to work fine but I found it is much easier to simply place an IPSC target with the white side down on the screen supports. This works in all kinds of weather.

If I were going to use a chrony every day, I might invest in one of the pricier units. However, this one does everything I want it to do at a very reasonable cost.

• 5 months later...

I would think the Chrony model would be a bit better because it has a remote data head that can sit on the bench where the Prochrono data head is part of the unit making getting data a pain. Reading a small display at 3-4 ft vs. having a display at the bench is my point.

Looking for a used CED is a good idea too. There have been good deals on those on Ebay and on the classifieds of this forum but they are few and far between. I use the 50% rule for used electronics. If I can buy it used in working order for 50% of the cost new it is a good buy.

I have the Gamma Master with printer. I like it a lot but truth be told the printer is not needed or required.

Any brand works just fine. On another fourm they lined up several brands including an Ohler (sp), they shot rifle and pistol rounds across them and they all were within a few FPS of each other.

If I were to buy another I would get one with the IR screens so you could Chrony anytime without variations.

I have a Chrony Beta Master for about 20 years and its served me well. Its not the same one, I've destoyed several. Their customer survice is great! The last time I hit one with a 6.5 rifle round going 2800 FPS, the Chrony exploded. I shoveled all the parts I could find, put them in a box and shipped them back. A couple days later I get a call from Chrony, I think its going to be someone saying "you got to be kidding". But it wasn't, they said they would fix it and send it back, but it would cost $35. I chuckled and said that will be fine. I got the package a few days later...a brand new in the box Chrony.

So, if you get a Chrony and hit it (which eventually you will) send it back no mater how back you think it is and they will let you trade it in for an upgrade or charge a nominal fee to "fiix" (new).

PACT Mk IV

when you can get it to run right ;)

me personally, CED with the IR skyscreens. Can't go wrong with the setup you'll encounter at most area matches.

Edited by yoshidaex

PACT Mk IV

NFW.

Not just no -- HELL no.

Get thee behind me, Satan.

If I wasn't so doggone stubborn about making it work, I'da pitched it in the campfire a LONG time ago.

It'll work -- eventually -- but man: Plug. Unplug. Plug when on. Plug when off. Reset. Shoot. Turn off. Turn on. Unplug. Turn off. Plug. Turn on. Move wires. Move screens. Change angle. Unplug. Plug. ERROR - SCREENS TRIGGER TOGETHER. Unplug. Plug. Turn off. Turn on.

Maybe one string is done.

Which one is considered better? Chrony M1 Master, or Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital? I'd buy a CED M2 but it's triple price. :mellow:

Oehler was considered the best. There is a German firm that makes very good chronos for ?300+? euro's, I think the company is called Mehl and the model is BMC 17. I bought a used Beta with printer etc and am very satisfied with it. You can buy it directly from shooting chrono or through smartreloader in Italy which ships for 15 euro flatrate.

I only use it now for load development and occasionally to check ammo consistency.

Regards,

Dick

PACT Mk IV

NFW.

Not just no -- HELL no.

Get thee behind me, Satan.

If I wasn't so doggone stubborn about making it work, I'da pitched it in the campfire a LONG time ago.

It'll work -- eventually -- but man: Plug. Unplug. Plug when on. Plug when off. Reset. Shoot. Turn off. Turn on. Unplug. Turn off. Plug. Turn on. Move wires. Move screens. Change angle. Unplug. Plug. ERROR - SCREENS TRIGGER TOGETHER. Unplug. Plug. Turn off. Turn on.

Maybe one string is done.

+ 1000 And after trying to get Pact to warranty it, I'll never buy another thing from them. Here's an entertaining thread. If Brian hadn't called them for me they would probably still have the thing. Once they finally returned it it worked one time then went back to the same old sh!t again. I Bought a Chrony F1 with a indoor light kit, works great.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are shooting USPSA and 1)going to their matches 2)want to go as close the the bottom PF, then get the same kind of chrono with IR screens to boot.

Otherwise, if you just want to get a good approximation-get whatever you want or can get the best price on.

Oehler does not make retail chronos anymore. They are considered the best.

CED with IR screen, and enclosure is excellent.

All others are adequate for the job at hand.

• 1 month later...

Well, I got the M2. I tested it quickly before work yesterday, and got no measurement errors. After a quick testing feel that it is absolutely essential to have a large enough memory in the machine, so I dont have to write the values down myself. Also, my loads had a smaller SD than factory loads, which cant be bad. :cheers: I'm not 100% happy with the build quality though, the end plug in the folding bracket came off, and the on/off/7 -button seems to require too much force to give number 7. It starts the machine with a light press, but getting number 7 or machine off requires way more force, which is weird...

Edited by askomiko

I got the new CED M2 a while back and love it.

I just don't let a certain friend shoot across it anymore. But then again I should thank him, because that is why I needed to search for a new one anyway.

Now that I feel that I have the best, I probably will not let him shoot across it.