Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 No Problems, 380 Many Problems

We had no trouble making 2000 rounds of 45 as soon as we got the 650 from Brian. We also had no trouble converting to 380.

My partner gave me the following report after making 200 rounds of 380 last night:

I made 205 rounds. We need to have a phone call with Brian about 380. It took me almost as long to do 200 as it took us to do close to 1000 45s. The machine would jam dropping a casing every 4 or five pulls and half of the cases would not take a primer unless you fooled with it’s location and sometimes even then I had to pull it off the press. I could not get a nice flow going at all.

Anyone have an idea about what could be the trouble?

- MacEntyre

Until Dillon pops in, I would say trying to use the 650 to load 380's is like using a Formula 1 car to go to the grocery store for a quart of milk.

I think your main problem is switching between primer systems and getting the alignment correct. I had similar problems trying to switch between .45's (which my 550 came setup for) and 38 Specials. It takes lots of adjustment which is why I quit priming with my 550.

Call Dillon tech support first as they can/will talk you through adjectments.

You might need to adjust the locator tap at station 2. If you did not adjust it from the 45 ACP setting there will be too much play and the case may not be centered. There should be just a little bit of a gap from the tab and the case. The manual says 0.010" or the thickness of a business card. It shows how to adjust it on this manual, page 41 step 17.Online manual for the 650 off the Dillon site?

I strongly suggest you phone us when you can be in front of the loader. I suspect the priming problems are due to incorrect adjustment of the primer station locator tab, and the case dropping problem due to incorrect adjustment of the cam on top of the case feed plunger. Be sure you changed all three case feed adapters. Be sure you have a shellplate stamped with a number 3, as well as the station one ramp. When you adjust the rod to control how far the case is pushed into the shellplate at station one, you must have a primed case in the shellplate at station two, otherwise the handle movement goes further than it will when actually loading ammunition. :ph34r:

Archived