Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Draw Times Single Stack

rgkeller

Shooting a single stack legal 1911 using winchester 45acp hardball out of a non offset or dropped kydex holster I can get all "A's" at 10 yards averaging about .94-.96. I can sometimes drop into the high .8's but the "A's" start getting questionable.

I hear about .6's and .7's all the time but rarely have I seen them done on demand and I shoot with a pretty fast crowd.....

Yep! It's gonna almost always be under a second to shoot a "ten yard" A from the draw for a fast track M, or a GM level crowd using that type of gear.

The really amazing thing is that "shot to shot" reloads for this crowd will also be in the same range using a SS gubmint' model and pulling the mag from kydex. BTW, we are talking about making an A hit at each end of the reload and doing it at ten yards.

At 7 yards the A's kinda' become a gimme!

Me, I'm just a 1.1 to 1.2ish type of guy with full race gear (10 yards again). I don't really count in the scheme of things ;-)

I agree most M class guys will be doing sub one second draws. From what I have seen, .85-.90 isn't an unreasonable expectation. I have only made a handful of draws in the .72-.75 range. In practice, I eventually got under one second pretty much on demand with a 1911 out of regular old Kydex. However, to the best of my knowledge, I never hit a sub one second draw on any classifier that was averaged into any of my M class percentages with the exception of revolver. A 1.1-1.2 draw could see you deep into Master class (as far as classifiers are concerned) if you have the other skills to go with the draw.

Hi rgkeller! Yes, I agree with everyone's estimates of .7 to 1.0. I ran some drills for my practice records about two months ago and I was averaging .95 on a 10yd "A" hit with my SS.45. Kydex is only about .1 slower for me than one of my speedy holsters.

The farther I move that target away, the less difference there is in plain Kydex vs. Speedy Type holsters. The most important aspect of the draw is to get the correct grip. The .3 you may save on a lightnin fast draw can be lost in one or two transitions if the grip is not just right.

Here is another thing about sub-second draws, I don't do them in matches very often. If I can bust a 1.2 draw to a 10 yd "A" and get the grip right, I will usually have a much better stage than if I go for a fast first shot and don't get the control I need. If I go sub-one in a match, it's either by accident or because I decided to "turn the badger loose" and go for broke on a stage. That ain't always a good idea for the best stage score, but it's always a lot of fun.

Hmm.. I'd put a ten yard A every time at a match right at a second or a little more for a middling 'M' class shooter. Max said he hits the 18"x24" gong at 7 yards on Smoke and Hope in about .8. The speedy kids hit it in .6's and .7's, but it's a much larger than A-zone target to begin with.

Actual match performance is definitely a differnt' animal from warmed up and working on a best run in practice sessions.

I am back down to 1.1 to 1.2 from the holster in practice when warmed up, but stick a 10-15 yard full target right in front of me at a match and I might wind up taking 1.4 to 1.5 to put an A on that suckah' when the buzzer goes off and startles me out of my typical stage prep reverie ;-)

Like everyone says, it is way different at a match than at practice when you have done 25 draws and are really loose and ready to go....after sufficient warm up and at practice, I can do between .75 and .9 most of the time...but at a match, usually about 1.1 or a little more cause like Sam says, it is better to insure a great grip than have a blazing fast draw and not hit anything... :lol:

At a Todd Jarrett class a couple of years ago, he was doing .74-.75 draws from a Safariland belt holster. As he was telling us how to do things he was handling his gun, in the 2 day class he probably touched the gun 1000 times. Speed is relative to the amount of practice time you want to expend.

Edited by LPatterson

shooting steel the other day i was shooting single stack with regular kydex holster. on smoke and hope i had a few .63s, a 68 and a bunch of .70s

out to ten and twelve yards, the draws slowed down to .90 avg.

I am/was a pretty high A class shooter in limited ten, so i guess im an A with a single stack.

• 3 weeks later...

My draws average 1.1-1.2. I haven't been able to get any faster after all these years even with coaching. It's simply my physical make-up. In the big picture rarely will a stage be determined by .20 seconds on a draw. I've shot master class classifiers with 1.5 draws.

I am just a B. I can pull draws and an A on a 7 yard target at or just under a second cold on demand. Warmed up I can get down in the high .70's-low .80's. In a match on a stand-and-blast stage I would be right at a second, and just a tad more for a surrender draw. On a 15 yard popper I will be looking for 1.25 but it might get as long as a 1.40. I hate stand and blast, I want shoot and scoot instead. Shoot and scoot draws can be anywhere from a .90 to a full two seconds depending on the array.

I stay around a second or a little more just to get a good grip as the others have said. Getting a bad grip sets the stage for disaster, insurance is slowing down a tad and getting that solid grip.

The draw is just one small aspect of shooting. It helps to have a fast draw, but a good shooter has a lot more tools than just a fast draw. I think we put a lot more emphasis on the draw than it deserves a lot of times. That is how I built a good draw, but it made very little difference. I would have been better served by working on more/other things instead of focusing on a speedy draw.

• 3 weeks later...

Speed is relative to the amount of practice time you want to expend.

good qoute.... :) sometimes,i'll try this while warming up during a shooting session..1.40,then 1.45 then 1.21 then 1.10,then 1.o5,1.06.1.07 1.33..all at 10 yards...when i can get to 1.0 or .95 area then i'll quit...sometimes 35 to 45 rnds... :mellow:

• 1 month later...