Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open 38 Super Loads.

f250sd

New to Open. What load do you guys use and why?

Powders N350 vs. HS6? why?

What other powders work good in a comp gun?

Thanks.

Lots of powders work. VV3N37, 3N38, 105. IMR 7625, 4756. AA#7, HS-6/7 etc., also depends on bullet weight, IMHO it's whatever works the comp the best.

Ken

AA7 10.8gr under a .355" diameter 124gr JHP at 1.210" OAL works nice fer' me. I use a WW SR primer and WW +P brass cases. It runs 1360fps avg. HS6 is a bit fast for a long loaded super IMHO.

I have used many powders and bullets. I have found the bullets generally an accuracy issue and then I have used the slowest convient powder and that is based upon what type and condition of barrel you have.

Sorry no solid answer but it is, I feel, the correct path.

ed

I've been using Hogden's Longshot lately. It is on the slow end of what most folks use.

I like it - with Zero 121's.

Al, I am with you on the powder. I am using 124 grain bullets myself but I swear by Longshot. I am only dropping 7.4 grains to make major with the 124s and it shoots CLEAN. You just have to love a good shooting powder that is clean burning and allows for more rounds per pound. lol

Anybody try VV N350? I am trying to move 121 zero's to major PF but i'm getting primer flow (into the FP hole) after about 10-15 rounds the FP hole is so full of primers residue that the firing pin will not go through.

Ken

I've used N350 w/ 125s at 180PF for old Major. Sounds like you need a long firing pin... And make sure you're using small rifle primers (not small pistol). 121s shouldn't be a problem w/ N350 at even 170PF (heck, 115s should be fine, too...)....

What are the rest of your load specs?

All of that sounds Ok... What's a Golden West? Plated bullet or jacketed?

Search on long firing pin here :) In fact, there's an active thread now... I just can't find it :D Basically, it keeps the firing pin protruding from the breechface slightly while the hammer is down. This keeps the primer from flowing back into the firing pin hole, and prevents the condition you're seeing (it doesn't prevent other pressure related primer problems, of course, and doesn't suddenly mean your pressure is OK...). In many guns, loads that have safe pressure levels can still flow into the FP hole when not using a long firing pin... this is a normal race gun thing, and is corrected by using a long firing pin...

Dawson, Limcat, EGW, M2i all make them - I have an EGW in my open gun, and an M2i in my L-10 gun, for whatever that's worth. The M2i doesn't protrude, but is longer than stock. You probably want a Dawson or Limcat...

Golden West is in PRK, got them in a group buy a while back. Jacketed, exposed lead base. Very similar to winchester. Thanks for the tip on the long firing pin. I will order one today from Dawson.

Golden West Brass Industry

2301 Chico Ave #5

S. El Monte, CA. 91733-1600

Arizona Distributer:

D&A Enterprises

no address given

Ken