Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Welded-base 1911 Mag Repair

n2ipsc

August certainly seems to be my month for odd quests...

Can anyone put me onto a 'smith that might be able to re-weld a SS base into a 1911 mag?

Just had a Randall LH mag come unzipped on me today when slapped into the gun, discharging its heretofore spot-welded base, spring, and contents onto the ground. :(

Obviously, this isn't something I can pop over to Midway or Speed Shooters to replace, and I really want to salvage this rare beastie.

Thanks in advance...

You may be better off looking around locally for a welder who does a lot of TIG on stainless. They tend to have better welding skills than most gunsmiths and they'll prob. be cheaper and faster. It's about a 5 min. job.

You may be better off looking around locally for a welder who does a lot of TIG on stainless. They tend to have better welding skills than most gunsmiths and they'll prob. be cheaper and faster. It's about a 5 min. job.
I agree with Brian. Find a great welder in your area. If you can't, I know a welder here that can do it. Let us know.

Thanks, guys, I'll sniff around here locally...

Edited by n2ipsc

Seems to me, the only differences between a Randall LH 1911 mag and a regular 1911 mag are:

1. follower lip has a notch to lock the slide back on the opposite side.

2. Slot for where the mag catch holds the mag is on the left side instead of the right.

Assuming you're not overly preoccupied with the slide locking back, it would seem a heck of a lot easier and cheaper to take a dremel tool to a couple of regular mags than trying to weld up a base.