Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Possibility Of Modification Tightening In Uspsa Production

Nik Habicht

I remember flying to Arizona in December of 1988 and having a "young" TGO tell me that the two most important modifications you can make to your pistol, other than tuning for reliability, that will most likely improve your scores were "triggers and sights."

It was true back then...and it's true now...and I'd be willing to bet that his XD he's using at Nationals this very day has buried Bo-Mars and a 2 pound (or less) trigger pull. ;)

Dawson was saying he spent a while last week making TGO some custom XD sights, so you may be wrong there.

Which brings me to my usual point-- why not get the sight makers to make some good sights that fit the factory dovetails and then we can get rid of the whole milled-slide "production" silliness. They have little incentive to do so today as long as everybody keeps buying 1970's design sights and spending big $ to get them installed.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some people don't get it. I do sights and triggers on the XD about every day, and MOST of them aren't for IPSC shooters.

People want better stuff and now it is readily available they whine about it being too good. Go figure.

The picture of TGO at the nats sure doesn't look like burried Bomars either.

Here is a little info as to the new proposed rule changes. There are none. Yes that is correct, as of yesterday. They have 8 different opinions as what should be done. If they want to release a new set of rules for'08 by December so it can be reviewed by the membership they better get going. There are some general ideas but nothing that has been agreed to.

Rich

It looks as if I was wrong about this Nationals but .....

From TGO's website....

Category USPSA - Production Class

Gun Springfield Armory XD Tactical

Caliber .40

Barrel Length 5"

Sight BoMar rear, Dawson front

Gunsmith Springfield Custom Shop

Holster Safariland Model 5182

Ammo Factory: Winchester 180 gr. FMJ

Reloads: Nosler 180 gr. JHP, Vihtavuori N310, Starline brass, WW primers

"Here's what's been done to this gun: I did a trigger job, reducing the weight dramatically, and shortened the pre-travel, over-travel and reset distances. This mod was much easier than it sounds and is available from Springfield Custom. They also did a miraculous low mount BoMar installation that you must see to believe. It's cleaner than a 1911 install. Dave Williams refit the stock barrel and it shoots 2" at 25 yards. Drawing from concealment, I just cleaned the Bianchi Plates from standing with this gun, so it's got to be easy to shoot."

See attached photo....

post-402-1160845915.gif

Edited by Chuck D

It looks as if I was wrong about this Nationals but .....

From TGO's website....

Category USPSA - Production Class

Gun Springfield Armory XD Tactical

Caliber .40

Barrel Length 5"

Sight BoMar rear, Dawson front

Gunsmith Springfield Custom Shop

Holster Safariland Model 5182

Ammo Factory: Winchester 180 gr. FMJ

Reloads: Nosler 180 gr. JHP, Vihtavuori N310, Starline brass, WW primers

"Here's what's been done to this gun: I did a trigger job, reducing the weight dramatically, and shortened the pre-travel, over-travel and reset distances. This mod was much easier than it sounds and is available from Springfield Custom. They also did a miraculous low mount BoMar installation that you must see to believe. It's cleaner than a 1911 install. Dave Williams refit the stock barrel and it shoots 2" at 25 yards. Drawing from concealment, I just cleaned the Bianchi Plates from standing with this gun, so it's got to be easy to shoot."

See attached photo....

That's some neat info but doesn't resemble what Rob is using at this match at all. I've been with him the whole match and it's a 9mm 5" XD with fixed sights (look like Dawson) I'm betting it's probably a light trigger but I didn't fondle it at all. From the outside it looked pretty much stock.

I stand corrected regarding this years match and my "blind belief" that he would be using a gun with a set of "particular" modifications some feel run contrary to the "spirit" of PD. :(

Lets not lose sight of fact that at least ONE of his previous PD guns sported the same type of "modifications" he spoke of in 1988 and are a "bone of contention' for some regarding how much lattitude PD shooters should be granted is as far as firearms modification is concerned. ;)

I'm happy he's using a more "stock" platform :)

Edited by Chuck D

• 7 months later...

I like Production division just the way it is. Being relatively new to USPSA, once I found out there was a Production division, I finally got the guts to go out and shoot a match. Keep it simple and we will get more new shooters into the sport.

There is no equipment you can buy that will make up for practice and trigger time. If you got the money and think a new barrel, sights, and trigger job will make you a better shooter, go right ahead. When I shoot with you at a match, all I care about is that your mags have 10 rounds in them and were shooting for minor score.

+1 No New Rules

If you're shooting better than me, its because you're a better shooter, not because I'm using a 4 lb trigger and you're using a 2 lb.

If anything, I'd loosen the rules. I was told this weekend that the small strips of grip tape I have on the rear of my Glock's slide is illegal as an "external modification"...... ok, I'm unfairly gaining a competitive advantage when it comes time to "show clear".

If anything, I'd loosen the rules. I was told this weekend that the small strips of grip tape I have on the rear of my Glock's slide is illegal as an "external modification"...... ok, I'm unfairly gaining a competitive advantage when it comes time to "show clear".

Somebody did get bumped to open for that at the Nationals. :huh:

I suppose the arguement might be that it provided an advantage if there was a jam to clear ???

(that is probably a discussin for another thread)

I shoot production and I think the few minor changes we can make to our guns to improve performance are so insignificant that it is still primarily based on shooter performance. I don't think tightining the rules would do anything but move people to shoot L10 instead.