Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ported Or Not?

Ghost

Decided on a new G23 for concealed carry and have been checking the prices. Is there any use in getting a compensated barrel on the G23? Having never shot either model 23, I have no way to compare. What do you guys think?

The advantages of the porting on the C models is very neglible.

The disadvantages for the C models in a defensive role are pretty significant (blast, light, gas cutting, etc.).

I wouldn't go with a C model for carry.

I will grant you that the .40 in the small and medium framed Glocks is quite a handful, however the small amount of porting just doesn't make that much difference. If you aren't completely committed to the .40 for work/departmental reasons I would also consider the nine. There is effectively no difference in terminal performance with premium defensive ammo between the two for a civilian.

Good luck, Craig

What Craig said.

I've shot 9mm and 40cal factory "C" models and also at least 3 people have handed me their extended+ported barrel "Open" glocks to shoot. Compared to my Ti-compensator G17, they all feel just like Limited guns, but with more noise and flash.

Shoot a ported pistol in an enclosed area just once without muffs and you will have answered the question as well as it can be answered, you just won't hear the answer until the high pitched ringing goes away ;-/

Just keep in mind where the ports may be when firing the gun. If you have time extend the gun out in front of you, that may be fine. If you end up having to fire just after clearing your holster, the ports may end up blowing gases up towards your face. The other situation that may be problematic is while sitting in a car. There's been several times where I've had the gun pointed at a subject while seated in a car. (The gun is just below the edge of the window, essentially having to shoot through the door if things went badly).

Itchy

Ghost,

I carry a Glock 20C w/double tap 180 gr Gold Dots.

I love the gun, but I have also taken the time to shoot it quite often.

...shooting a .40 180 gr Gold Dot @ 1250 fps and getting the muzzle rise similar to a 9mm 124gr @ 1150 is a definate bonus..for me.

I also have a Glock 20 and have been able to do the comparison work between the 2 guns.

..they're "both" loud (HA). Hearing protection is a good thing to have.

..the C model does not blind me @ night.

..the "bad guy" also does not know my gun is ported, which i can use as an advantage.

Recommend you try a C model, then make the choice of what you want.

Good Shooting,

Jay

Just keep in mind where the ports may be when firing the gun. If you have time extend the gun out in front of you, that may be fine. If you end up having to fire just after clearing your holster, the ports may end up blowing gases up towards your face. The other situation that may be problematic is while sitting in a car. There's been several times where I've had the gun pointed at a subject while seated in a car. (The gun is just below the edge of the window, essentially having to shoot through the door if things went badly).

Itchy

Now I see why they call you " ITCHY" LOL :D

Well said Iand I fully agree. IMO the C Glocks are a novelty.I might be able to stomach ports on the Glock 10mm but other than that they are totally controlable without ports or comps.

The advantages of the porting on the C models is very neglible.

The disadvantages for the C models in a defensive role are pretty significant (blast, light, gas cutting, etc.).

I wouldn't go with a C model for carry.

I will grant you that the .40 in the small and medium framed Glocks is quite a handful, however the small amount of porting just doesn't make that much difference. If you aren't completely committed to the .40 for work/departmental reasons I would also consider the nine. There is effectively no difference in terminal performance with premium defensive ammo between the two for a civilian.

Good luck, Craig