Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Regs for bbl. length

CharleyT

What is the purpose of the new reg. reducing revo. bbl. length to 4" from 5? I'm thinking of all those 1917 Colts and S&Ws laying around in peoples sock drawers that could be pulled out, grab a $15 Uncle Mike's holster a couple a moon clips and come out and play guns. All of 'em are pretty good guns and all of 'em are 5" which I read somewhere in my dim past was an optimum bbl. length for 45acp. Energy development or some engineering voodoo,(prob'ly of Haitian origin). I mean we ARE trying to increase participation in shooting sports aren't we? Or is there a prevailing mentality that says " if your not willing or able to play the equipment game(constantly modifying,upgrading to this years new whatever) we don't care if you play with us or not." Just wanting to know the reasoning behind this. Saw Mr. Zimmerman at the nationals and it seems a shame to make shooter like him have to change his equipment without a very good reason. If a concealabity issue prompts this, I think it's bogus. Obviously I am not in favor of this upcoming rule an I don't even shoot 19th century rotary launchers. Thanks,

CharleyT

IDPA feels that they made a mistake allowing the 5" guns in the first place. They are attempting to right their wrong. Right or wrong its their game and they feel they have to do this. maybe to decrease sight radius. But whatever it is its the rule of the game. I hear S&W may be doing something for barrel changes. I hear they are gearing up for the switch.