Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Taps With A Shotgun?

I know some QUALITY pump shooters but NO ONE I know can cycle a pump gun and shoot plates in .2 sec splits.... EVER !

I usually get .19 spilts and I don't even own a pump! :P

On the slug stage, I shoot it .1 sec faster than whatever Kurt's best time was. And with all As. B)

But in all seriousness, I remember doing the Dozier Drill (5 poppers from a low ready) at a Gunsite Alumni match. After much trying with a pump, I was just able to break 2 seconds. The spilts were about .25-.3. The first time I did it with a semi was 1.83.

We was all wondering where you were Kel ... we figured the cat got your tounge. :lol:

Hell if you are that slick and fast with a pumper why dont you shoot Tac Scope at Mesa next year and shoot a pump insead of an auto ? You know we will respect you big style for that !! ;):D

I think what he's trying to say is that the speed of the action of a semi does not affect the outcome, NO ONE is outshooting their semi, so it stands to reason that you can't outshoot one with a pump tongue.gif

Not meaning to pile on, but I think you've said it better in the above post. YOU can outshoot some semi shooters with a pump (but it has nothing to do with the pump).

And my hats off to you, I've seen your type (with a pump) and it's a pleasure to watch someone who knows how to run one. Same pleasure watching a revolver master.

Thanks, that is what I was trying to say, although with benny's gimped heel, I might take his pepsi challenge as long as we have to run 100 yds and then shoot the targets..... :D:D:D:P:P:P

Missed ya at Raton Benny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by jbullgpd

• 3 weeks later...
1.56 for me naturaly.

Is that all? I can do it in 2.5, easy! Oh wait, the LOWER times wins. Crap!

Seriously, the pump is theoretically capable of greater speed because the only limiting factor is the speed of the shooter. Like revolvers vs pistols. But, in practice the auto will beat the pump every time, at least for us mortals. One limiting factor with the pump is human caused reliability issues, ie short stroking. At least that is my problem when I try to go fast with a pump. So I converted to an auto last year, and found that a shotgun can actually be FUN to shoot! Strange how I have more fun when I'm not in pain.

1.56 for me naturaly.

Is that all? I can do it in 2.5, easy! Oh wait, the LOWER times wins. Crap!

Seriously, the pump is theoretically capable of greater speed because the only limiting factor is the speed of the shooter. Like revolvers vs pistols. But, in practice the auto will beat the pump every time, at least for us mortals. One limiting factor with the pump is human caused reliability issues, ie short stroking. At least that is my problem when I try to go fast with a pump. So I converted to an auto last year, and found that a shotgun can actually be FUN to shoot! Strange how I have more fun when I'm not in pain.

These guys did it in 1.1, but I think they threw of the rotation of the earth befor it was through

post-169-1158598534.jpg

Pour a cup of coffee, its Didactic Learning Time again!

The cyclic rate of an auto shotgun is limited by a number of factors. for the 1100/11-87, it is the speed with which the magazine can spit a new shell out of the tube. Since the lifter locks open each time, the gun stops until the next shell hits the lifter.

A Browning A-5 is theoretically slower, as the entire barrel and bolt have to cycle before it can then get another shell. However, the next shell has already fed on the rearward stroke, closing the gap somewhat. However, the absolute fastest times our gun club ever posted on an 8-pin table, preparing for Second Chance, were fired with an A-5.

The pump has a very interesting limitation in speed: magazine spring strength. As you shoot, the shells retreat into the tube, under recoil. If you pump too soon in the recoil cycle, you'll come up with an empty chamber. I can do it on demand with an unmodified 870. I had to have Choate custom-wind me an extra-strength mag spring so my 870 could keep up with me, shooting pins.

I've shot the fastest times in pins at Second Chance, shooting against the fastest shooters. No pump shooter was ever so hallucinatory as to think he/she could keep up with the auto shooters. If you're a pump shooter beating auto shooters, your gun club doesn't have very good auto shooters.

I make an 870 malfunction by pumping it too fast. So the "solution" is to pump slower? Hardly useful advice.

Unless you have something useful to add, I'm done here.

That is interesting. So the answer is to use a heavier/stonger mag spring in order to be able to make it reliable when going really fast. Wouldn't that make it at least marginally slower to load due to the mag spring having more resistance. I wonder if the .2 (or so) saved between shots is worth the added loading time/hazard. I'll have to give it a try.

The 870 I built was a specialized tool. I used it at Second Chance, where reloading time didn't matter. We had eight shots for eight pins, period. They were a foot apart, so split times mattered. Slowing down simply meant settling for less than first place.

For anything else I used an 1100 or a Browning A-5/Rem-11.

As for dogs bollux, I've never been a fan of the court jester form of humor.

What up Pat?? You don't go for "juggling balls" from the jester either? Amen!

Benny and I have been pushing ISMI to start winding springs for shotgun tubes as the ones out in the market just plain suck, but alass, we have no pull! I would love to get a mag tube spring that doesn't "go away" after 3 months of use! Maybe you have some pull?? KURT

Uhhh what was this thread about.... oh yea double taps with a shotgun.

Today it came in handy at our club match. The activator popper for a clay thrower was agonizingly slow to fall. Doubl tapping it made it fall much faster and gave a bit more hang time to the clay. Many similar activator related scenarios come to mind.