Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Spring On Sti 40

grandbagger

noob q's

i have a grams follower and springs on my sti 40, i was wondering how often do you guys change the springs? what do i have to look for when swapping springs? is it ok if i just swap the springs and use the old follower? is it difficult/easy to swap the springs on the follower?

First Grams spring /follower kits are the best!

Did you cut off any coils? I get at least a year out of a mag spring with 3 coils cut and shooing about 10,000-15,000rds. (38 super comp140mm mag.). I have yet to replace a Grams spring /follower kit, do to them dying on me but, I do change them every year keeping the old springs just in case the new decide not to work…

It should be easy to change followers… all though some times you need to bend the follower spring up /down to get the gun to lock back properly (if you want the gun to lock back?).

DvC,

Chris Tilley

Should be good to go then... if you do decide to change springs maybe use the old springs in practice?

When I change the springs I change them in my practice magazines and match magazines with the same lot springs. By doing this I will know if I need to change springs and not find out in a match.

DvC,

Chris Tilley

What signs do people look for when it's time to replace a spring?

I've yet to replace any of my STI/SVI mag springs, or any of my single stack or Production springs.

I've always figured rounds just won't feed well, especially the last. But so far (fingers crossed), all my mags run 100%.

• 3 weeks later...