Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Texas Star?

Owen Sparks

I am wondering....

Can I think of a way to use a Texas Star as an activator for another mover in a daisey chain?

As to the Star being boring, only if you clean it in 5 and without stopping. Till then there is room to grow.

It can be an interesting target to shoot, it is no different than a Drop-turner.

Now, the target I think should be taken out is the Texas Windmill. With the star,you can see what targets remain, if they are there, you haven't hit them. With the windmill, if you lose track of the targets, you can wind up engaging one target 4 times, getting 4 A hits and failing to ever shoot at the other target at all.

I would assume that so long as you shoot 4 shots, you can't get a FTE, but you can still get the misses.

Ahh, I just shot one of these for the first time today @ the Circleville match in Ohio...I really wish that I would have read this thread first :ph34r:

Lucky for me it only took two magazines :D (Gotta start somewhere)

Now, the target I think should be taken out is the Texas Windmill. With the star,you can see what targets remain, if they are there, you haven't hit them. With the windmill, if you lose track of the targets, you can wind up engaging one target 4 times, getting 4 A hits and failing to ever shoot at the other target at all.

Jim,

Dan said the original windmill design was the result of him eating some bad cabbage. I tend to believe him. You'd have to feel pretty bad to come up with something like that. ;)

As far as the inventor of the star being the devil, that would be a lot nicer sounding than the names we called him. :lol:

Liota

• 2 weeks later...

In reference to your question " does it spin". If one shoots it well, no. If one shoots it badly, yes. The more plates you knock off, the more off balance it becomes, and the more erratic it spins. They spin really fast when I shoot them. For a long time. For several mag changes. If fact, I am hoping if I shoot them any worse, they will spin so fast the plates will just fly off from centrifugal force. :rolleyes:

One club match I shot last month hung a weight from one of the arms of the star. You had to shoot an popper before engaging the star. The falling popper pulled the block supporting the weighted arm of the star, so that by the time you engaged the star it was spinning.

One club match I shot last month hung a weight from one of the arms of the star. You had to shoot an popper before engaging the star. The falling popper pulled the block supporting the weighted arm of the star, so that by the time you engaged the star it was spinning.

Did that using one of the plates from the star. The popper simultaneously trigged the TX* and Max Davidson's two-target windmill. 9 round stage. It was fun. Oh, by the way... it was Terry Ashton's original Texas Star of course.

post-6089-1158446122.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Last weekend I had a chance to shoot a prototype stage for the 2007 Area 1 Championship that looked similar to the one Chris shot. The shooter starts on a wobbly platform with a barricade and a port in front of them....there is a door on the port. When the shooter engages a particular popper, the port door opens...and both texas stars start spinning (they've got weights on them to start the spin).

People are ALREADY shooting prototype stages for Area 1 07? :o

For anyone planning on shooting A1 in 2007...your gonna love this one! :D

Yeah, I won't love it as much as getting a copy of those stages here in the next few months. :P