Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Texas Star?

Owen Sparks

Yep that is us on the one from the ladies camp. The differences you will see are the speed of the spin....that one spins pretty slow. They are weighted at the bottom so you want to shoot top down or you really will find out how quickly they spin. Of course we have guys at our range that pride themselves at shooting from bottom up......then there are the REALLY good shooters that clear the star before it can swing at all.... ;)

but I have to tell you nothing feels better than dropping those 5 plates in 5 shots!

I find I either do rather well with 5 or 6 shots to clear it or a full magazine (10 rounds). A large part of it is mental. If you get to it and think "I can't do it", you will confirm your thoughts.

Lorrie

When I first started shooting at Stars they were really intimidating, but with some practice they are not too bad. The key is to start at the top and work your way from side to side. If it starts moving make sure you pull the trigger just as a plate starts to go the other way.

Here's a short video of a double-Star stage from the 2006 Area 6 match (must mention that Chris Patty shot this with a borrowed gun, just after the dot on his went crazy). 2 Stars, 2 Pepper Poppers and 1 plate:

Last weekend I had a chance to shoot a prototype stage for the 2007 Area 1 Championship that looked similar to the one Chris shot. The shooter starts on a wobbly platform with a barricade and a port in front of them....there is a door on the port. When the shooter engages a particular popper, the port door opens...and both texas stars start spinning (they've got weights on them to start the spin). For anyone planning on shooting A1 in 2007...your gonna love this one! :D

I find I either do rather well with 5 or 6 shots to clear it or a full magazine (10 rounds). A large part of it is mental. If you get to it and think "I can't do it", you will confirm your thoughts.

Lorrie

One of my favorite quotes... "Think you can, think you can't...either way, you're right..." -- Henry Ford

I saw a freakish use of a star in some video I found on the net. Only the bottom 2 plates were visible and the rest came around only after you started on them. The top three plates of the star were covered by a baricade. Very wicked.

Edited by theknightoflight

I shot that Texas Star at Area 6 a couple of shooters after Chris. I think I was still winging lead at it around midnight. :P Usually I do moderately well on them but not that day. :(

Texas stars are in invention of the Devil! ;)

They're really not a big deal once you've had a chance to shoot one several times. You can shoot plates off the top to keep the thing from moving much at all (if you're fast enough), or take the 10:00 plate first, then the 1:00 and 4:00, then hold at 4:00 and wait for the rest to come around. A little faster is to take the 1:00 plate then the 4:00 and hold there and pick them off as they come around. Fastest is to take the 4:00 plate first and hold there, but you have to be quick as the plates come into your sight picture from below. The shooter in this video starts using the 1:00 first technique, but on the opposite side - 10 o'clock then holds at 8 o'clock.

Here's the link. It's pretty good.

Utah Shooters

Edited by Steve J

Holy Crap that was fast!!!

Yeah, he's pretty dog gone speedy. Production too. You can tell he's done it a couple of times. Kudos to the shooter whoever you are.

Edited by Steve J

We had a double star at our sectional last weekend. One was right behind the other. One of the plates was a no-shoot on each star. I figured I would attack it one at a time because I feared I might get confused. One of the shooters after me shot both of them at the same time. He shot the top left plate on both of them and went on. It was pretty good. Later we had a man-on-man with a star and plate rack. We all got all the practice we needed on that match.

We had a double star at our sectional last weekend. One was right behind the other. One of the plates was a no-shoot on each star. I figured I would attack it one at a time because I feared I might get confused. One of the shooters after me shot both of them at the same time. He shot the top left plate on both of them and went on. It was pretty good. Later we had a man-on-man with a star and plate rack. We all got all the practice we needed on that match.

Truly diabolical. I like it.

p.s. We need video, please.

Edited by Steve J

Truly diabolical. I like it.

p.s. We need video, please.

I have some video from that stage from the OK sectional, Ill get it up in a day or two and let you know.

I can't wait to see it. I am going to have to carry a video camera with me

Well, here it is, uploaded onto youtube;

since I dont have a server, Ill need to put stuff on free hosts. The quality when I converted it to mpeg is pretty sucky, Ill see if an .avi format is better the next one I put up there. I may try google video, too.

Anyway, This was during the open/production OK section; I was shooting my L10 rig, just to get some trigger time.

I pretty much sucked, but I got some diagnostic info.

Basically two stars, each with a no-shoot, and haybales blocking the bottom 1/5 of the rotation. then three paper and two poppers on each side.

100% open was 12.92; I was at 59% open with 22.40; not that bad considering you can clean it with a big stick in open.

Edited by mike cyrwus

So far I've shot the Star 6 times (in matches). Two different stages had Stars last sunday so I got some practice. I start at the top go clockwise. If I do it right I end up holding around 4 or 5 O'clock and squeeze em off as the last two plates swing into my sights. The key for me to clean house is to not look at the plates. As soon as I look at the plate I miss the plate. Simple as that. I didn't do that last weekend. After the 3rd plate my focus shifted from sight to plate and I missed 4 and 5 and had to chase them down. Now that I know, I can work on it.

I love the Star. So far it's my favorite. I call it "The Equilizer".