Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does it *have* to go Seller -->> local FFL -->> Merlin's FFL -->> Merlin?

I thought you could dispense with the FLL on the originating end as long the seller shipped it directly to your FFL for transfer.

(I had one done this way, so I hope it wasn't illegal)

Well, I am buying an AR from another BE reader, and he is not going through an FFL on his end. I talked to the FFL here that will be receiving the gun, and he stated that, since it was an individual and not a dealer, he would not be sent a copy of the FFL. He said if there were any question about whether the FFL was legit, the seller could use the FFLeZCheck service on the ATF website to verify that the FFL was valid. All you need is the FFL number(actually only the first 3 digits and the last 5), and it will tell you if it is a valid number, and to whom it belongs, with the address.

Since this was the receiving FFL telling me that an individual could ship the gun directly to him, I figured it must be okay. Nothing I could find on the ATF website said the seller had to give the gun to an FFL to be sent, just that the gun had to go to an FFL on the receiver's end.

Arnie

edited to add FFLeZCheck website: FFLeZCheck

Edited by RifleShooter

According to the regs, you can legally ship a firearm out of 1 state to a receiving FFL in another state.

From our reference guide:

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out of state source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchasers state of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

end of quote.

The GCA mentioned above is the Gun Control Act of 1968, the law which created the ffl system.

Many FFL's simply refuse to accept a transfer done in this fashion and require any shipment to be sent to them from another FFL. Given the way in which the BATFE regularly audits bound books and shuts down licensees for minor violations, this is probably a case of self preservation.

It is also now legal for an ffl to fax a copy of his license to other dealer for transfer purposes. Many refuse to accept a fax and required a mailed, signed copy. A lot of dealers are simply afraid of running afoul of the BATFE.

Just because you are paranoid does not mean they aren't out to get you. :-)