Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Would You Buy A Open Gun For 1375

This gun was for sale uspsa

This is really cheap

POSTING FOR A FRIEND-SV 9mm open gun, SV frame and slide, custom stippled grip, ICE magwell, C-more w/alchin mount, Triglide interchangeable trigger, Ambi swenson safeties, Schuemann 6" tribrid II AET barrel, extended mag release, slide racker, 2LB trigger, Limcat XL firing pin. Gun started as a SV factory in 38 super, it was then rebarreled to 9mm with the scheumann barrel and the slide was lightened. This gun is short and fast, it tracks like a limited gun. This was a backup gun and is no longer needed. 1-10 round mag is included. PICS by email. $1375.00 includes shipping to your FFL. Payment by certified

Speaking from experience from someone who's bought a lot of used guns off the classifieds, there are some deals to be had. Just because its cheap, doesn't mean its junk...... and just because it not built by a "name" smith and cost $3000, doesn't mean its not a servicable gun. But you DO have to be careful. There's definitely junk out there. I've been pretty lucky so far though :D In general you usually do get what you pay for, but there are exceptions.

I looked at the pics of the gun you are talking about, I'm guessing it was cheap because its an unusual coniguration, a 6" Tribrid open gun w/ 5" slide, no added "comp", with a c-more (not Docter). Almost a Modified setup. Not everyone's cup of tea.

Edited by sfinney

Great deals don't mean the product is junk! Up untill tonight I was triing to sell a DPMS 16" m-4 carbine upper The price for a complete upper with bolt and carier got down to $350.00 BRAND NEW!!!! With detachable carry handle!! Not one bite! I parted it out, and made a practice upper out of the flat top with a burnt out barrel, now I have parts for sale and even those won't go. If someone gets discusted enough any price is possible! Any one want AR parts??? :D KURTM

To add to Kurt's comments.. I have found myself wondering why I still have "that" gun in my safe when all I need is a few hundred for something else. I know it is worth 600, but I really need 400 fast for that impulse buy. It has and will always happen, especially with guns. It states it was a backup gun. Probably not the prettiest thing in the world but I bet it doesn't have a ton of rounds through it either. If the pictures look good, and the feller sounds like a shooter instead of a salesman, I would bet you get a good deal. If I still had the "open bug" I would snatch it up as well.

Kurt,

How many uppers are you going to put that burner barrel on? :D

Mike

Guns are alot like cars in the used market. When you take them off the lot the resale

value goes down.

Most of the time you can do all the gunsmithing you want and never recoup any of that money.

I also looked hard at that gun for 1375. (and it went fast btw) and only did not go after it because of all the extra holes. I did not want to change my load to ensure PF in what would have been a back up gun for me as well.

but back to the topic, I have bought 2 open guns, both FTF for less that that. and also an SV limited gun for less. these all have run 100% from the day I got them!

I paid less than 1300 for my Open gun & I'm very happy with it. I was looking at:

1. Who built the gun

2. Who built the barrel

A few barrels & a few gunsmiths have reputations for making stuff that shoots well for many years.

I also looked at the ad you saw & the only red flag for me was the barrel/comp. My opinion only - careful getting an Open gun that dry-fires just like a Ltd gun, you may find that it recoils a lot like a Ltd gun too. Also look at how many options you have for replacing the barrel. If the only option is high cost & long wait, that's something to ponder a while.

The good part is they were pricing the gun right, which is rare. Nobody tries to "just get back what I put into" a used car but incredible how many ppl try that with used guns.

Takes patience but you can find a good used gun, even change your mind & get a 2nd used gun that's set up totally different, and still spend less than the cost of 1 new gun.

Then your 3rd gun can be a NEW gun that's perfect for you until you wear it out a zillion rounds later, vs an expensive, chrome-plated "for sale, low round-count" ad in the classifieds.

Edited by eric nielsen