Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Did Somthing Silly On Impulse

harley45

My laptop crashed again today and I went to apple .com and ordered a macbook to replace it based on all the good things I've heard about the platform. Problem is I've never even seen a mac up close!!!!!!!! (stupid I know) here is my question I've got about 4 gigs of mp3s and another 6 gigs of jpeg photos that will need to be transfered. Does the Mac even use folders like windows. I'm going to burn the files onto DVD discs before the Mac gets here, should I extract them from the folders and put them in new folders when I transfer them to the Mac? and does the Mac come with a program that will play mp3s like windows media player? I know I did a silly thing but god was I mad at work today.

Just burn the folders to a CD/DVD as you were going to. The Mac uses folders/directories just llike Windows.

Apple provides two specific applications to handle all your music and all your images.

iTunes will take care of music and iPhoto will take care of images.

The best way to get off to a good start is to have someone who is familiar with these applications walk you through setting the preferences first, then adding your images and music after the correct prefs are set. There are ways to have trouble if you just start slammin' stuff in without tweaking a few things.

If you do not know anyone who can do this for you locally, PM me and I will give you a phone number to contact me at when you get the machine and are ready to do the transfer process.

It is best to get off on the right foot to start and I would not mind helping you when you get the new Mac.

Welcome to the Mac OS X world. It is the most reliable PC operating system you have ever run.

Regards,

Yup, just let er' rip!

Make sure the files are all there by comparing folder sizes after the burn. Remember that CD's only hold 770MB of data per disc.

If you have a lot of stuff and have a DVD burner, you can use a data DVD to hold 4.6 GB of stuff per disc.

Definitely not a stupid move. When your Mac arrives you will realize the incredible moment of brilliance you experienced when ordering it. :D

I am done with PC's my next system will be Mac based. Funny thing was I was a diehard Mac fan until it just became too limited to even try to buy one let alone use it. I am glad to see them back.

Dave,

For transferring images and mp3's into a Mac, believe it or not, whether the images are on a slow CD, or available on a fast 10/100 network connection or even a fast FW hard drive, the speed at which they will actually import into the Apple applications is fixed at a rate that will not be slower from CD than from another mode.

Additionally, because these app's copy the files to their own library directories when the prefs are set properly, it is best to not actually move the files onto the Mac first, but rather to import them from external media/sources. This prevents many issues that others have found out about the hard way ;-)

So my recommendation is to burn them anyway as this archives the stuff "Right Now". This is a good idea for several reasons. 1. It get's them off the PC before it permanenty collapses the file system and you lose the data. 2. An optical disc copy of music and images is the best way to cover your azz even with a computer that has a reliable OS and file system.

You can set iTunes to leave the files where you put them and to not re-organize them either, if that's how you want to make it work. I did it that way religiously when it first came out because that was the way I did it in SoundJam and damned if I was gonna' let any app do it differnt'!

I resisted for 2 years and then after becoming conversant with iTunes in's and out's, I realiized it actually does do a better job of managing your collection for you, if you let it that is. Now that I have 4+ years of experience with iTunes, I have found that I have yet to actually dislike it for any reason other than my original un-founded " I lost my SoundJam" miff no matter how hard I have tried.

I was a confirmed SoundJam user when Apple bought the software out and re-wrote it into iTunes. I railed against the machine for several unproductive years, wrote emails, logged error reports and generally bugged the heck out of anyone at Apple who would listen. Now I am happy with what Apple did through the simple act of trying it their way. It really is a good way to manage a digital music library, especially after getting up to 25k+ songs in my main library and realizing that managing it any other way would be a real drill comparatively.

The bad rap iTunes has is wholly un-deserved IMHO.

Hmmmmm, so MACS are decent machines? Have never owned one myself, but I do have access to one I can probably get cheap if not free. Its a desktop version and I know squat about MACs. May have to get it just to play if nothing else. Seeing as I do all the pc stuff at work, it can't hurt to learn another platform. When I find out exactly what the rig is I will let you know George.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, let me know what the cheap Mac is before you put any money out. There are some older models that are not worth putting any effort into. If the hardware isn't capable enough to run the newer Mac operatiting system (OS X), then it won't be worth trying to use it.

Ideally, you want a G4 processor machine, or at the very least a G3 based machine with FireWire ports. Anything older should be left out back with the beercans.

Archived