Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tubb Final Finish Bore Polishing Bullets?

Malak

Anyone ever use the Tubb Final Finish Bore Polishing System Bullets?

I was flipping through the Midway catalog looking for crap that I don't need, and that looked quite interesting to me.

The say they are a series of bullets that are impregnated with polishing compound :blink:

Says they remove no more than 0.0003" of material.

If I am putting a quality Hart barrel on my new bolt project, would something like that even be necessary?

They are best used for restoring a poor bbl, or keeping a bbl in use from eroding the throat as fast. Do not lap a new bbl with them unless it is rough. I would not think the Hart will need it ;-)

Read more about them at http//:www.zediker.com/

Buy them direct from Zediker instead of Midway. Zediker is the main dealer for Tubb.

I read Tubbs books, and why he uses them. I agree with Tubb most of the time. Not on this one though. A Good barrel should need very little breakin and a little JB.

Only way I can summarize it, is that Tubbs want all the potential accuracy his rifle can deliver right away and does not want to wait for it to settle in.

The carbon ring in front of the chamber can be a real problem. I like to work on it with JB. Best bet is to never let it build up.

BTW, I have used the Tubb's firelap rounds with great sucess in restoring accuracy to worn bbl's and to previously poor shooting and rough stock barrels. I also use them on the high mileage match grade bbl's I have to actually polish out the throat erosion. This is best done with 3-4 of the last two grades of grit (#4 & #5 which are the finest of the 5 grits) fired every 5-600 rounds (my schedule, not Tubbs). This routine has kept several AR bbl's at sub-moa well into double digits.

The full lapping routine involves 50 rounds of 5 grits. I would only do that to a poor bbl to start with.

I use JB also, just not to smooth the throat, only to take out copper fouling once in a great while. Don't really want to take too much metal outa' good bbl's unless they actually need it.

Correctamundo!

If the bbl is a SS match grade bbl, it is most likely lapped already and won't need this help at all.

Good indication of a smooth, well lapped bbl is how few patches it takes to show clean after a few rounds are fired.

My JP SS SuperMatch bbl was smooth as glass right from the start. I fired a half dozen break-in rounds (standard fmj, not firelap rounds) and it cleaned up with just a couple solvent patches. I didn't start doing the throat maintenance on it until it hit 5-6k and opened up from 1/2 MOA to just under 3/4 MOA with SMK 77's ;-) At over 13k it still holds 77's at 3/4 MOA and SMK 69's just over 1/2 MOA.

I believe in the Final Finish throat mainetnance concept, just not anywhere near as often as Tubb does (he recommends every 75-100 rounds, I wait at least 500 and maybe even 1k rounds between cleanups). I also do not believe in firelapping a new bbl unless it is rough and hard to clean and/or shoots like crap in the first place!

+1 to what George said.

The Final Finish helped my stock Remmy PSS barrel a great deal with respect to how well it cleaned up. I did not notice a huge accuracy difference but did notice that cold bore and fouling behavior became much more consistent.

All in all if you are thinking of purchasing a premium barrel (Rock, Obermeyer, Schneider, etc) then there is no need for Final Finish except for throat maintenance if you choose. However if you have a factory barrel that strips copper like an electrician I found it to be very worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
You just paid Hart to hand lap that barrel...why in the world would you want to run some polishing compound through it? Good stuff for factory barrels IMHO.

Never heard of the polishing bullets... thought I would ask first.. glad i did

The Tubbs Final Finish rounds ARE polishing bullets. They come in five grades and all five are used for treating a rough bbl, while the last two grits are what are used for polishing a bbl that just needs a touchup.

Either way, as mentioned earlier they are not needed on a quality match grade Stainless bbl like a Hart.

I've used them on rough factory barrels and they will reduce the copper fouling a factory barrel will grab. You can actually feel the difference with the cleaning rod after the process is complete.

I have not run them into any of my match barrels when new as they haven't needed them (for the reasons already stated above). They have benefited from the standard break-in process, which is a royal pain for a day, but when done they simply don't foul very much. However, I see where running the two finest Tubb grits would help speed the process.

Now, for throat maintenance with the finest grits I have to say I haven't bothered trying it. Not to say it's a bad idea because 100% of what Tubb has said I've found to be true. I think it would smooth the leading edges of the eroded rifling so it wouldn't be as aggressive on the bullet. (Throat erosion looks like alligator skin all broken open.)

My barrels (except AR's) aren't that bad yet. I do own a borescope, so I'm not stating conjecture, I'm actually looking at the barrel. Find someone with a borescope you can use and put an end to your guessing would be my strong recommendation.

Archived