Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ohio Section Championship - 2006 (oct. 7,8)

Ohio Section Championship

October 7,8 2006

In Ohio, We Kick Butt And Chew Bubble Gum...AND WE ARE ALL OUT OF BUBBLE GUM

:):):)

The Ohio Section Championship is an USPSA Level III match again this year. As always, we design stages with the utmost regard to shooting challenge. We have a great time while truly testing the shooting. B)

The match is at the Pickaway County Sportsmen's Club located 3 miles east of Circleville, Ohio on Route 22. (Circleville is due south of Columbus, take Route 23 from Columbus to Circleville.) This is the same club that the match was held at last year.

This match is the weekend before the Open/Production Nationals in Tulsa. I've heard from quite a few that plan to shoot the Ohio on Sunday, then head right on out to the Nationals. Smart plan. ;)

We are running the bulk of shooters on Sunday. Saturday will be the staff day, shooters should ask for pre-approval to shoot with staff on Saturday. Squadding will be done using USPSA's online squadding system (we get your application, upload it, and the squadding system sends you an email.)

Expect pretty great competition at this match. We already have a good handful of revolver shooters signed up. Limited will be tough with defending Champ, Matt Trout (GM) looking to repeat (Cheeley...what division are you shooting??). Open should have a handful of Masters and Grand Master's (Brad, Jake, Anderson, etc.). Production will be a powerhouse of talent...watch this division !! We always get a very solid bunch of Limited-10 shooters in Ohio. And, Mr. Singlestack (Gary Stevens) is just down the road from the club.

Saturday night, one of our local guys will host a little cookout/get together just down the road a bit from the club (different location than last year). Nothing fancy...totally social.

We always like to do some kind of shoot-offs on Sunday as the scores get tabulated. Since we gotta wait...why not shoot? :) Bring extra ammo and sign up at the match.

The match hotel is the Knights Inn in Circleville. About $50/night with the code of "USPSA". Make reservations early.

Knights Inn Circleville

23897 US Rt 23 South

Goodchild Rd & US Rt 23 South

Circleville, OH, 43113 US

Phone: 740-474-6006

Fax: 740-474-9250

E-Mail: choudkri1@cdphotel.com

Circleville has a good handful of the National Chain eateries as well as a few good local places, and a big Walmart.

Found count: 228 Alphas to be had (plus chrono) in good mix of 9 stages.

http://ohiouspsa.com/

Let me know if you have any questions.

Here is the match application in word format:

ohio_section_2006_application.doc

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stages are posted (rough drawings) on the website.

Let me know what you think about Triple Six Standards (2). The first version of that is with just one target at each distance, with 6 shots per target (Bill Drills)...which is Max's Triple Six practice drill. We are approved for either. The reason we plan to run version 2 is for ease of scoring/target change out. :huh:

I think the original version (1 target) better captures the intent of the drill Max designed - recoil control at speed at various distances.

I think so too, and that is the way the shooter in me is leaning. The Match Director in me is leaning to the 3 targets for logistic reasons. :D:D:D (You know how those Match Directors are.)

Ah hell...the Bill Drills would be way more fun, right?

Three draws for 6 shots makes it more of a draw test than a recoil test IMHO. Three targets per array or 6 shots on one target would make more sense than a draw test...save that for the Steel Challenge.

HUH?

I think the original version (1 target) better captures the intent of the drill Max designed - recoil control at speed at various distances.

I think so too, and that is the way the shooter in me is leaning. The Match Director in me is leaning to the 3 targets for logistic reasons. :D:D:D (You know how those Match Directors are.)

Kyle,

any chance you have enough room to set multiple arrays? That could reduce target replacement time, and you could conceivably run 2-3 shooters in a row, and then go downrange to score targets.....

If not, how long does it take to staple three targets? Faster than stapling nine, right? So it ought to be a wash, because after X number of rounds per target you're going to replace them anyway, no?

How about two sets of target sticks? The ROs could staple new targets on the sticks uprange between squads. Then, when they walk down to score the last shooter in the squad, just pull the old out and put the new in. No extra trips. As long as the sticks are marked consistently (and / or the backers stay in place), no extra work for the ROs.

Yeah, I was thinking of that as an option too. Still the same amount of work for the RO's really. Then again...that is what they get the big buck$ for. :)

What I really need is feedback from my CRO (which will be Sako or Knuckles) ??

(Just me putting it out here means I am leaning toward the bill drill style...and I'm looking to get talked into it. ;) I just don't want to burn up my staffers.)

A careful review of the stage descriptions leads me to believe that my nemesis, "The Infamous Shakey Bridge" will NOT be making a return visit.

YAAAAAY !!!!!!!!! :D:lol:

On the other hand, Diana is not happy. That Shakey Bridge was where she beat me badly last year, and she was looking forward to another opportunity ;)

Thank you Kyle.

BTW, My vote's for the Bill Drill style for Triple Six

The voice of reason ...............

Just one of many I hear in my head...but he's not the loudest.

(Just me putting it out here means I am leaning toward the bill drill style...and I'm looking to get talked into it. I just don't want to burn up my staffers.)

That's assuming we'll actually hit the damned things enough to justify switching targets...just go with the Bill Drill's.

Edited by redmist10

Well, Sako could use the exercise ( :) ) and Knuckles is young enough to sprint downrange BETWEEN strings and change targets . . . :) . . . I don't see a problem!

Nik, extra arrays...not workable here.

It's not really a wash, as the RO's sure would like to enjoy 5 minutes of down time between squads.

I'll probably toss a coin. :)

I'll bet that every squad could be talked into helping fairly easily ---- even if it's just carrying the targets and stapler downrange, and holding the new targets while the CRO drives the staples......

I think this can be handled ----- you convinced yet?

Yeah, I was thinking of that as an option too. Still the same amount of work for the RO's really. Then again...that is what they get the big buck$ for. :)

(Just me putting it out here means I am leaning toward the bill drill style...and I'm looking to get talked into it. ;) I just don't want to burn up my staffers.)

Knuckles says: "Go for it...I like to run, but give Sako El Prez again!!!" Hell, you could even mix it up and make it El Vice Prez if yer feelin' fruity. It'd break the match budget to have to tie a cheeseburger to every competitors rear, as that is the only way to get me downrange that much!!! :P

Sako :ph34r: