Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.460 Rowland Info. Needed

markd

I am very interested in installing a .460 Rowland kit in my 1911. Do any of you have experience with the caliber or kit from Clark? Any comments on accuracy, reliability, or functioning will be appreciated. Any problems with the caliber or conversion that I need to know about? Thanks in advance.

Benny,

I don't mind the rudeness really. Can you comment on accuracy at 50 yards or even 100 yards? Also I have heard and read some reports of the firing pin hole filling up with brass with the Rowland. Is that common place and expected or just something can can and does happen rarely?

Can anyone tell me what Benny means by "set up right." The Rowland kit is touted as a true "drop in" kit. What must be done to insure that it will be set up right and run?

Typically... nothing. Possible that some minor fitting may be required. We have seen some functioning issues on wide bodies. Extra power magazine springs may be necessary for reliable feeding.

Edited by reneet

Set up right. If the gun wasn't right before the drop in kit was installed it sure won't be right afterward. A drop in barrel wont cure a extractor or ejection problem, or a over sized FP hole. The parts in the kit may require a touch with a file here or there or a little polishing, but they are one of the best drop ins. If you have a old, loose pistol that runs marginaly with 45 ACP, double the pressure with a Roland and all kinds problems show up.------Larry

Thanks for the info. I am putting the Rowland kit in a pristine Kimber series I pistol, a Kimber Classic LE. It is tight and smooth and functions perfectly as is with very few rounds on it. Sounds like the Rowland conversion will be a piece of cake. I do still very much wonder about accuracy and what to realistically expect at 50 yards and beyond. Having all that horsepower and flat trajectory is useless if a well tuned gun ends up shooting two foot groups. Anybody here put one on paper at 50 or 100 yards to see what the .460 will do?

• 1 year later...
I am very interested in installing a .460 Rowland kit in my 1911. Do any of you have experience with the caliber or kit from Clark? Any comments on accuracy, reliability, or functioning will be appreciated. Any problems with the caliber or conversion that I need to know about? Thanks in advance.

I own a conversion, and it's on my National Match Springfield Armoury M1911A1. I haven't shot it yet, but hope to get to it tomorrow. For want of .460 Rowland brass, I've made small batches of .45 ACP +P+P+P+ :unsure: reloads that I'll try out. Until I actually have the right brass, I'm not inclined to try to push the ballistics very aggresively. If I can get the slide to operate with the 24 pound spring, I'll be happy with the handloads.

I started with 8.2/Herco/225 cast TC. The overall length of the rounds is 1.245". 8.2grains is the maximum load for .45 ACP, as listed in a Hornady reloading manual from the days before there was a "+P" category for this caliber. I loaded small batches up to 8.8 grains. Alliant Herco closely approximates Alliant Power Pistol in burning rate (though perhaps not ALL burning characteristics), so perhaps a reasonable approximation is possible.

I'll try to get back to you with results with all due alacrity.

Cordially,

Kosh