Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber Series I Vs Desert Warrier

markd

How does the new Kimber Desert Warrior compare to a pristine Series I gun. Neither have the firing pin block safety crap in them and so forth which is good to me. I just wonder what you all think of the two comparatively. I already have the Series I but I am thinking about trading it for the Desert Warrior to get the light rail. I just don't want to trade down instead of up. Any info or opinion will be appreciated.

I don't own any "self-defense firearms". I do have several weapons with which to use in my own defense and that of my family. I am not going to "neutralize any threats" but I may very well shoot the living crap out of some murdering thief if I catch him in my house with intent to harm me or my family. :-) For what its worth, I don't "harvest" deer either but I do KILL about 15 of them every year. I am pretty new here so as we get to know eachother don't expect much political correctness. ha ha ha........ So now, does anybody here have any real experience with the Desert Warrior to share or are we gonna talk politics all day? ;-)

Overall, I really think that Kimber quality has went down.

They tend to crank out a few guns every year that have some minor feature changes and have a lot of glitches. Don't get me started on how two series II plungers broke on me and the whoel external extractor mess they had.......

Markd,

Lycanthrope gave a pretty good answer to your question. Flexmoney and most others here make the assumption that when someone asks gun-related questions that you are either interested in competition, recreation shooting or self defense.

I have seen a few of the new Kimber's go down when shot alot. Since it doesn't sound like you plan on shooting it in competition, it may not be a concern to you. IMHO the older Kimber 1911's are what gave Kimber their reputation and the ability to charge 30-40% higher for the same gun as everyone else. I did a search over on THR.com and found some information and EXPERIENCE with it from some posters. Might be a better option for your questions.

Edited by mike_pinto

Hey, I am not sure how I got misunderstood about my intentions but I do shoot competition to the tune of thousands of rounds a year since the mid 1980s. I teach a defensive shooting class and combat shooting skills to the public and to law enforcement. I also hunt like a maniac. I plan to use the Desert Warrior as a hunting side arm with a .460 Rowland kit on it. As such it will get shot a lot in practice and carried a rediculous amount of time in the field under harsh conditions. If the Kimber series I is a better gun I will build on it. If the DW is as good then I will build on it to get the light rail. I have always been a die hard Colt man but I have thousands of rounds on a pair of Kimber race guns with zero problems. I can however tell a big difference in quality and fit and smoothness between the series I and my other series two guns. I just wondered which set the DW was closer to in quality, the old ones or the new ones.