Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sa Double Stack .45

1911vm

Good day does any one know or have a SA hi capacity 1911. I am looking at one for purchase and just do not know much about them. What mag. goes in them or just accessories in general? Thanks

They can take the Para mags, I believe. And, the STI (for Para) mags. I'm not sure if they need any tweaking done on the mag release notch on the body of the mags ?

The most you will be able to get in them...with USPSA Limited legal mag pads...is a likely 18 rounds. Guys running the 40's will have a 2-4 round advantage.

They take Para mags without modifying anything. Also STI for Para [not made any more] mags which click into the stock mag release, have the skinny STI taper, hold less rounds, supposed to be more reliable mags. But STI mags in 45acp will only hold 14 rds, sometimes 15, either way it's not the best way to shoot Limited.

You might post a "WTB" ad here and on USPSA.com. Springfield gave away quite a few of the 45acp widebody guns as prizes, I've seen top shooters offer them for sale after several big matches like the Nationals.

Or you could have the Custom Shop build you one in 40cal. The frames are forged where most of the similar guns are cast. Also, Rich @ Canyon Creek built one last year that was a real beauty. In 40 cal you could get a custom mag release that takes normal STI mags.

para, magazines or megar magazines (cheaper) work just as well, dawson basepad will take ya to 18 rns. I had a ice magwell on mine and changed to a smith alaxander, any nose cap you want, I prefer a 90 dawson dot. a great deal of rear sights are available for the standard dovetail or you can have a bomar put in, trigger pull is your preferance. As stated before Canyon Creek is a excellant custom shop, you could call them and talk to them about your options or have them assemble your pistol with the parts you send them, a friend of mine had a SA double stack set up for 45 acp and 40 sw with sti slide, these people are GOOD at what they do. :)

I decided to call SA to ask some of this question. And also to find out if they do the work. Well the answer is yes. And in the custom shop they still build double stacks in both .40 .45. At first I was intrigued but when I was told that the price is around $ 2700 or more my excitement disappeared very fast. I just what to put together an ok , inexpensive limited gun until I can afford svi, sti, etc.

A couple of years ago Springfield did a run of their double stack 45's (ala P14) in their "Loaded" model configuration. They were selling on gunbroker.com for something like $600 ("Loaded" model pricing of that time).

There is a .45 SA hi cap over at ar15.com for sell in the equipment exchange.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&...88&t=373085

Edited by steel1212