Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bought New Gun

packed

Hello all I just got my double stack STI in 40cal from Benny Hill. Took the gun out and shot today. I sure can shoot a lot better with this then my XD. I have adjust the sites a bit yet. QUESTION. I cannot get the Bull Barrel out of the slide.....hmmmm some trick to this? It don't come out like my XD or my Tuarus. I have not had a chance to call Benny yet. Any way any input you can give me? Thank you. :unsure:

Geeeeee. Not sure? The barrel seems to have a little loop thing on a pin that moves the pin goes through it to hold the slide on. I cannot get the sprint out. Not sure if it is a recoilmaster guide rod or not? I do know I cannot get that dammed thing apart. I have tried and tried. I know I'm not much help huh.

I can say for 100% sure that it does not have a recoilmaster in it. Lock the slide back, look at the quide rod. You will see a small hole drilled in it. Take a paper clip, cut a piece about 1 in long, bend about 1/8 inch to a 90% angle. Stick the short side of your new tool into the hole in the guide rod, let the slide forward. Remove the slide lock and slide the whole slide off the pistol. Remove the guide rod, spring and reverse plug toward the rear, as a unit. You may have to wiggle it around some. The barrel will slide out the front. Now that I have typed all this it just occured to me that I dont remember it your pistol was a 5in or FF 6. If its a 6in PM me and I will walk you thur that.-----Larry

I think its been quite a while since Benny built a bull barell 6"...? :huh:

I think Jerrys gun is a 5in bull, A 6in bull would come apart the same way, but a 6in bushing is another story. You are right thou, its been a while for a 6in bull.------Larry

Hey lkytx I found the hole. I will try it tomorrow. Thank you. I will let you know how it goes. Here is another question for you all. How do you change the fiber in the front site? Can I get replacements?

Hey lkytx I found the hole. I will try it tomorrow. Thank you. I will let you know how it goes. Here is another question for you all. How do you change the fiber in the front site? Can I get replacements?

Here is the source for Fiber. http://www.fiberopticproducts.com

You just need to figure out the size. If a remember correctly, online search for Dawson Precision catalog will show you how to replace it.

I had the same problem with removing the barrel..etc...for cleaning on my first STI---do a online search for STI manual and you find pictures on how to take it apart.

Hope this helps

Damn, you get a new gun and you are tearing it up getting it apart..now you need a new FO site...LOL :P:D

You did not know that half the points required to make M are finding the takedown hole for the guide rod.... ;) Took me a while to find mine too....lol

Edited by tightloop

The easiest thing is to never, never, take it apart! After the first few thousand rounds or so just spray it with brake cleaner, dunk it in Mobil 1 and off you go.

:D

(I am not a gunsmith, do not play one on TV and have yet to stay at a Holiday Inn Express).

Hello all someone here requested a photo. I am having a hard time posting a photo???? cannot copy it or drop and drag it here. I added it to a signiture though hope it comes through.

not coming through

Edited by packed