Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight Pictures

jmc9x23

According to IDPA rules, no sight pictures are allowed. What is a sight picture? Half of the people I talk to say its when you pull your gun out and align it to the targets on a stage. The other half believe it just putting your hands together and pointing at the targets from the starting point or other point of engagement. Who is right?

Let me know what you think and then I'll tell you what the powers that be say.

Jim,

As far as I'm concerned a sight picture is just that ----- you looking through the sights at the targets, but I'll venture that the powers that be don't want you indexing your bare hands either since this is supposed to be a cold start sport.....

Did I cover all the bases here?

Nik, you're right. According to the powers that be a sight picture is done with a gun. Since they do not want you handling a gun before you are told to do so. Finger pointing is OK with IDPA but could be interpreted differently by each club. Ask before you do it.

• 1 month later...

I had this "no sight pictures" conversation with an SO at an IDPA match when all I was doing was "aiming" my hands. Later on, I had a conversation with IDPA board member John Sayle where I broached the concept some people had that standing in your stance without a gun in your hands constituted a "sight picture." His reply: "That's ridiculous." I certainly agree.

Hhhhmmmm, are we talking about a simple raising of the arms or a silent kata throughout the whole stage rehearsing every step

When I shot IPSC I physically and mentally rehearsed as much as possible. IDPA is supposed to be about what I can do right NOW.

When I am an SO I do try to comicly needle the airgunners. But if you insist on doing it just don't get in my way when I am scoring and reseting a stage for the next shooter, PPPLLLEEAASSE!!

For me as someone who is a local club shooter who does this for fun, nothing is as funny as the conga line of airgunners through a stage. I keep waiting for the latin beat.

Keith