Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine Release Blues

sslav

As a left handed shooter I work the magazine release with the middle finger of my strong (left) hand. That worked just fine when I only shot my Glock-19 occasionally. Recently I got interested in IPCS shooting. Now I shoot a lot more and working the magazine release has become a problem. Between the shooting and the reloading drills I am beginning to lose the sensation in the tip of my middle finger. And the release itself is not all that smooth. Sometimes I get it right, sometimes I end up having to mash that button more than once. I had bought a Glock 35 about three weeks ago. I had handled one a few times before making a purchase and I liked the way it handled. One of the features that I was looking forward to was the extended magazine release. What I did not notice is that the rear bottom corner of the magazine release was digging ever so slightly into the third joint of my middle finger. Well after a few practice sessions - live and dry fire - I had a bloody blister on that spot. For now I replaced the extended release with the regular one - no more blisters, but that sets me back to square one. I would like to try one (or a combination) of the two ideas below.

1. Soften the corner of the extended magazine release to keep it from tearing up my finger. But would that disqualify me from shooting production? Ideally I would want to reshape the externded release so that the front edge is higher than the rear one. That would not only help with the blister issue, but would make it a lot more comfortable to use as a left hander. But I have a feeling that that would make it non-production for sure.

2. If I have to stick with the standard magazine relase I would like to try annealing (softening) the magazine release spring. But I have only very crude means at my disposal (a propane torch and a bucket of sand). Having no practical experience with the procedure (I only read about it on the web) so I am a little hesitant to try. I have no concerns of accidentally tripping the release but I do want it to hold the magazine securely untill pressed.

Does anyone have any advice either in regards to one of the two solutions above or any other workable approach.

Slav

sslav,

You can certainly try to push the rules envelope and you'll probably get by unless you have win or something like that riding on the gun being acceptable. Once you get caught cheating, you will stay in the crosshairs.

I'm a left hander and a big Glock fan, owner of eight (I think that's right) and have launched many thousands of rounds from them and seen hundreds of thousands fired out of Glock pistols. I would suggest you do a technique change on your magazine catch management. Suggest you start using your TRIGGER finger for the following reasons:

1. It gets your finger off the trigger. I would bet that you're getting way too close to the trigger during mag changes by using your middle finger.

2. Your trigger finger is more dextrous and is stronger than your middle finger.

3. Messing with springs and especially the heat treat is asking for failure of said part. It will work until you really need it to work and at that point it'll fail.

Try doing a software solution on this instead of a hardware one.

Wayne

Edited by Wayne Dobbs

sslav,

You can certainly try to push the rules envelope and you'll probably get by unless you have win or something like that riding on the gun being acceptable. Once you get caught cheating, you will stay in the crosshairs.

I'm a left hander and a big Glock fan, owner of eight (I think that's right) and have launched many thousands of rounds from them and seen hundreds of thousands fired out of them. I would suggest you do a technique change on your magazine catch management. Suggest you start using your TRIGGER finger for the following reasons:

1. It gets your finger off the trigger. I would bet that you're getting way too close to the trigger during mag changes by using your middle finger.

2. Your trigger finger is more dextrous and is stronger than your middle finger.

3. Messing with springs and especially the heat treat is asking for failure of said part. It will work until you really need it to work and at that point it'll fail.

Try doing a software solution on this instead of a hardware one.

Wayne

What Wayne said.

Chuck