Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Length Of Disconnector, Does It Make A Difference On An Sti 2011

Slidelock

I have been having trouble with the hammer following the slide back into battery (the gun doesn't fire). I have heard that the disconnector may have something to do with this (I have tried nearly everything else). So, I purchased a new disconnector, and nope, it doesn't stop the problem. I borrowed a friends STI 2011, and measured his disconnector and it is a few thousandths longer tip to tail than mine. I tried his in my gun and it dragged on the slide. I measured my old disconnector and it is slightly shorter than the new one I purchased. Does the disconnector have to be fit to the gun? Will the disconnector cure my problem with hammer follow? HELP

There's a setup between the disconnector, sear, trigger bow, and hammer that's "ideal" and then there is a fair-size range of possible sizes & angles that's "good enough". Outside of that is "not good enough".

It takes a pretty good gunsmith [which I'm not] to tell the difference. Hopefully one will read your post.

Leaf spring tension is something you can check now, here is the guideline for a 2.5 lb pull 1911 trigger. See if you have at least 16oz on the spring, top photo here:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/N...p;t=1&i=349

One thing that could help a gunsmith troubleshoot your problem is to find out if you have hammer follow even when you're holding the trigger back after each shot. That would mean the disconnector or leaf spring or hammer hooks are not doing their job.

If you have hammer follow only when your trigger finger is blazing away with sub-.18 second splits, that can be a different deal, related to the slide closing AFTER you release the trigger forward. This 2nd type of problem can be a booger to cure.

Edited by eric nielsen

One other problem I had ... one you wouldn't think of??.. My grip was loose!!! (actually cracked from old age/chemical abuse??).... just a little movement here and the hammer falls to 1/2 cock. Worked good sometime and then..... Took a while to find this!! try flexing the barrel/grip... any movement? Could be your problem?

Well, thanks for all the input. The hammer does NOT follow the slide when the slide is racked and let go while the trigger is being held. My splits are in the .30 - .35 range, so they are not dangerous, the grip is in good shape, old, but uncracked. I have purchased two new sear springs, an EGW sear and disconnector, and have read the Brownell's Web Bench reference that was so kindly sent and I will work on the spring tension a little bit and the sear, disconnect polishing to see if that helps. The hammer follow started as an ocassional nuisance, and in a short time developed into one that occurs every ten to twelve rounds, so, I think it is a wear issue, but where is the wear?

Watch the gun closely as it fires, have someone else shoot it if you need to.

The disconnector can cause hammer follow if it is too short. If this is the case the hammer will ride the slide down without any hesitation. What is happening is the disconnector is not being pushed down far enough to reset the sear.

Take one of the disconnectors and put a bead of solder on the tip, dress it down with a file to a decent shape and try it out. You are going to have to get the disconnector pretty hot to get a decent bond with the solder, and 95-5 electrical solder works best. The solder won't last long, but it will prove the theory.

A real loose slide to frame fit can also give you fits, it makes the problem more intermittant and harder to find.

• 10 years later...
On 8/15/2006 at 2:55 PM, eric nielsen said:

If you have hammer follow only when your trigger finger is blazing away with sub-.18 second splits, that can be a different deal, related to the slide closing AFTER you release the trigger forward. This 2nd type of problem can be a booger to cure.

I realize this is an old thread, but I have had a hard time finding discussion of this issue. Eric that is exactly what I have been experiencing on my STI edge. Every time I try to turn up the speed on my trigger finger the hammer will catch on half cock. It will follow all the way unloaded and rarely while loaded, although I have never had it double. 

It did it with factory parts. I had the entire FCG re-done with the litespeed 2 kit by a smith and it still does it. Any idea where to look for a solution? Maybe the grip or frame? I have removed the grip safety and manual safeties and it doesn't effect anything either. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had some burst fires after hammer follow on a new gun. Turned out the hammer strut was rubbing on the sear spring and the recoil was bumping it. Mark the spring with some texta and assemble it, rack and dry fire and you may see the texta has worn off where the hammer strut hits the sear spring. I bent my sear spring to give just enough clearance between to prevent touching problem solved.

other area to look at, is the thumb safety.    the second hump, not where the sear is blocked but the another ledge where it can make contact on the hammer.    check for rub marks on that hump on the TS.    just file it down a bit.