Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can someone shed some light on the origin of this rule

TDean

In the USPSA rulebook it list this rule under "US Limited"

g. External modifications such as weights, or devices to control or reduce recoil are specifically not allowed.

I'm trying to figure out what the heck people were doing in order for this rule to even exist!

"Devices to control recoil"?

Also, how serious are they about this rule:

e. Changing caliber from the factory standard is specifically not allowed.

So if I bought the gun as 10mm, I can't buy a .40 SW barrel for it?

Shooter ready video shows Chip McCormack's gun which had an extension dust cover welded on. The extra weight reduces recoil and muzzle lift.

Banning such modifications seems academic now that ST/V, Baer etc are producing guns with it.

The rule is still enforced though. I read of someone being removed from Limited because he had added a long dust cover to his Caspian.

P.D.

Quote: from TDean on 7:32 pm on Aug. 29, 2001

Also, how serious are they about this rule:

e. Changing caliber from the factory standard is specifically not allowed.

So if I bought the gun as 10mm, I can't buy a .40 SW barrel for it?

I e-mailed John Amidon regarding this rule as I did not understand it either. Here is his reply:

Me:

I do understand this rule. Does this mean if I buy a Springfield .45 that I

can not change it to a .40

John Amidon:

That's what it means, if the model you buy is a 45, then changing the caliber

means that your model has changed, you can change parts within the model,

like Caspian slide etc. but the caliber must remain the same.

John

Fred Craig produced a Caspian framed custom built Limited gun that several GM's shot. One in particular I think was DQ'd from the Limited Nationals in either 98 or 99. I think Jay Christy (GM used to shoot for the US Army Team, now retired from Army), Ron Avery and a few others shot the Craig piece or something like it.

Apparently, the shooters shooting the Caspian Limited guns were DQ'd or something to that effect for the Limited Nationals, but I think that was because USPSA said the magazines were too long for Limited and the welded on dust cover was another issue for USPSA.

From pictures I saw, it looked like a piece of steel was welded on the Caspian frames that made it into and look like an extended dust cover gun. There was a huge fiasco and threats of suing and what not over that. I think Fred Craig filed a lawsuit against USPSA because he said after shooters got DQ'd using his stuff, it ruined his name and business and he lost business.

I think it was settled out of court though. I think Travis or Brian would know more though.

By the way, Brian, Travis, Pat, or Erik, anyone know what Jamie Craig or Fred Craig are doing now? I haven't heard anything from either of them for a while. I know Jamie was really making a name for himself and appeared to be doing well and then I haven't seen or heard anything from him in a couple of years of Nationals.

• 4 months later...

RE: Weight rule

Believe it or not, Bill Wilson was the first I saw with a weight on the frame. It was from the trigger guard to the end of the dust cover. I believe he offered them as a bolt on part. Rogers made a holster to accomdate them.

JJ