Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good Holster/belt?

GaryWH

For any and all divisions I recomend the CR Speed belt system and the holster will depend on what division you're interested in. For Single Stack and Production I like the Bladetech DOH and for Limited I like my CR Speed WSM. You will get different good opinions I'm sure but there are several good holsters out there.

+1 On the CR Speed Belt and Kydex. For Limited and Open I love my Guga Ribas holster.

Which gun will you be shooting in your first match? That will dictate which division and which holster and mag pouches you will need. You may, for example, use a good stiff belt you already own with a Kydex holster and a couple of mag pouches to get started in Production or Single Stack.

+1 On the CR Speed Belt and Kydex. For Limited and Open I love my Guga Ribas holster.

Which gun will you be shooting in your first match? That will dictate which division and which holster and mag pouches you will need. You may, for example, use a good stiff belt you already own with a Kydex holster and a couple of mag pouches to get started in Production or Single Stack.

I just purchased a Taurus PT111 Millenium Pro 9mm. I know, it's not a great "competition" pistol, but I am just starting out, and it's what I will carry for self-defense as soon as my CCW permit comes in.

I just really want to get to be a better shot with my self-defense weapon first, and have fun shooting. I go to my local indoor range at least once a week, but I'm looking for something a bit more challenging.

Once I get more involved in the sport, I plan to get a 5" semi-automatic. Of course, I plan to shoot in the "Production" class. The nearest USPSA club is about an hour away, and they have matches the first Sunday of every month, so I plan to head up to at least watch the match next month.

I may be wrong (usually am) but I don't think the Taurus Pro is Production legal. You might want to consider L10 with it if that's the gun you want to shoot. Just have a good time. Can't have a bad time if you're slinging rounds downrange.

It sounds like you're interested in gaining skill with your chosen carry gun, rather than actively trying to win matches, which is a good thing. In this case the holster you use should be the holster you are going to carry with, provided it isn't a small-of-back or crossdraw holster, which are illegal for safety reasons.

Additionally, you're going to have to strap on more magazines than you would typically carry, at least three extras, and four are better. Have fun.

H.

Thanks for all the good info. I checked out the CR belt online, and will definitely order one.

Any suggestions as far as magazine pouches? I bought 2 extra mags with the pistol.

I guess I screwed up - I checked the "Production Gun List", and saw the Taurus PT111 listed, so I went ahead and purchased the PT111 Millenium Pro. I guess I'll be starting out in the "L-10" division...

Going to Fredericksburg next month to see my first match; I'm really looking forward to it.

Thanks for all the good info. I checked out the CR belt online, and will definitely order one.

Any suggestions as far as magazine pouches? I bought 2 extra mags with the pistol.

I guess I screwed up - I checked the "Production Gun List", and saw the Taurus PT111 listed, so I went ahead and purchased the PT111 Millenium Pro. I guess I'll be starting out in the "L-10" division...

Going to Fredericksburg next month to see my first match; I'm really looking forward to it.

I like and use the CR Speed pouches. They are adjustable and come with inserts for different style mags. Also, Blade Tech makes a cool quad pouch you could look into, 2 of those would give you 8 mags on your belt in the same amount of space.