Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oal?

steel1212

Do you pretty much load everything to the same or close to the same over all lenghts? With the manuels varing so much I'm a little confused. I've found out, from here, that 1.15 is a good length for 121-125 haps and my gun seems to like it. I was going to try some 147gr 9mm and was wondering if the same goes for that at 1.15?

I load to 1.164 with a 135 grain Zero FMJ for both my Glocks and Sig's. Runs well, they like it. Getting set to play with some 147's, so I have to see what the length, powder charge chrony out to.

Edited by vluc

OAL is a feeding funtion not a bullet weight issue. Once you settle on a OAL that feeds great then stick with that OAL and load for the power factor to want.

If, say, you change from 115gr to 147gr and keep your OAL the same, Your usable case volume for powder will be a little reduced. That isn't a problem once you find the best powder charge. Also, the further you seat out your bullets the more powder it takes to get the same velocity than with a shorter OAL.

Addtionally, if you load for more than one gun of the same caliber, pick a single OAL that feeds is all of those guns. If you don't you will mix your ammo in no-time. Keep in mind that factory and custom made pistols are designed to shoot factory mad ammo. So............ if your OAL is the same as Winchecter White Box ammo you proably have the correct OAL for reliable feeding.

TIP: use different bullet styles for diiferent bullet weights and power factors. Such as maybe round nose for 115gr, blunt nose for 125gr and hollow point for 147 gr. Also, for power factor identification I use nickel brass for 9mm major and plain brass for minor loads.

Edited by SteveHarris

OAL is a feeding funtion not a bullet weight issue. Once you settle on a OAL that feeds great then stick with that OAL and load for the power factor to want.

If, say, you change from 115gr to 147gr and keep your OAL the same, Your usable case volume for powder will be a little reduced. That isn't a problem once you find the best powder charge. Also, the further you seat out your bullets the more powder it takes to get the same velocity than with a shorter OAL.

Addtionally, if you load for more than one gun of the same caliber, pick a single OAL that feeds is all of those guns. If you don't you will mix your ammo in no-time. Keep in mind that factory and custom made pistols are designed to shoot factory mad ammo. So............ if your OAL is the same as Winchecter White Box ammo you proably have the correct OAL for reliable feeding.

WWB is 1.15 if I'm not mistaken and thats what I picked and it feeds great so far. I have a 1911 9mm that I'm working with. I was assuming that it was a feeding issue I just wanted to make sure. Hornady's manuel list X and that is the minimum correct.