Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What an RO to do?

Al Capizzo

My homey club is putting on a fairly big match this weekend, and the RO's shot the match on Friday.

The first stage one of the RO squads shot had a drop/turner behind a wall, you know, something to make you take a step or lean over a ways after hitting the activating popper, and should you decide to engage the turner at all.

Unfortunately, since it was roughly 400 degrees Thursday afternoon when we were stapling targets up, no one noticed that the top of the turning target was visible above the wall and could be engaged without ever activating it.

After the RO squad shot, and no one actually engaged the turner in this "unsportsmanlike" manner, we decided to staple a no-shoot to the top of the wall, now you can't see the turner from the start box. Sound reasonable? Here's the catch.  Somebody wants a reshoot because we've changed the stage.  Even though only one squad has shot on it, and no one actually engaged the target before hitting the activator, "we had the option before, now we don't".  The decision was made to not let them reshoot just because of something they could have done (but didn't).  Am I right in this or am I just overly sensative here and they should have gotten the reshoot?

Was it a large match or a local thing?  

My take on this is that if you are the busting your ass getting the match together...without much help...then it should be shot in the spirt which it was intended.

If, on the other hand, it is a larger match...and people are driving a good ways to shoot it, then it should be right from the start.

Are there any prizes or award?  Do the RO's that shoot early include their score in the match results?

Flexmoney,

Yes its a large match and yes the RO score are included in the match results.

As far as getting it right from the start, this was the start, only one squad of about 8 had been through this stage, and I felt like adding this no shoot (which is tacked to a wall about 7 ft in the air, no one going to be picking up no shoot hits because of it) did not materially affect what these first 8 did.   But...technically it did change the course.

I might add, only one person on the squad was pushing for this reshoot.

If the changes did not affect the scores, no reshoots. If they chose not shoot over the wall and now they can't anyway, the stage has not changed for them and all they want is a reshoot prob. cuz they sucked on their first run.

Pat

Al,

I should clarify a bit.  My post was meant to be more in general...not so much in direct response to your particular situation.  

Sorry...probably not much help.  Something similar tends to come up every so often.  Sounds like you did what you thought was best.  Your actions followed the spirt of the rules...the guy seems to have been trying to game you by using the rules against you to bolster his arguement...and get a free run.

Invite him to "check" your stages out next time.  Tell him to come early and sign off with his approval.  Shame him with kindness.  Or, just tell him to quit whinning.

I'll bet there isn't a match setup anywhere that someone can't find something to complain about.  While it is the responsiblity of those running the match to get it right...nobody is perfect.  

(Edited by Flexmoney at 8:25 pm on Jan. 9, 2002)

Thanks for the replies.  I believe Pat has it right. I didn't mention it because I wanted opinions based on "objective" view of the situation, but the shooter pushing for the reshoot is a GM, with a mike on the stage.  Kinda suspect, eh?

I think that here in France they would have two options for that kind of situations:

First if there is enough time to allow it, shooters should do a reshoot.

Second, if there is not enough time, They would probably cancel the stage.

It already happened here .

About reshoot, I don't think it's always a good thing, I always screwed up my reshoots !

DVC

Julien

• 5 months later...

Sheeeezzz......!

He's technically right, but the *right* call would have been for the Match Director to say "No Reshoots".  Then let the guy spend the $$ to arbitrate it.  I'll bet it won't matter to much to him then......

I'd leave his brass on the ground the rest of the match!

At the Nationals one of the stages had a no-shoot in the way. It was the stage with the radio controled movers in a figure 8. The no shoot was in the way of shooting the targets when they were in the middle. Then a wind storm and rain storm came and the no-shoot blew down. When they put it back up, they put it quite a bit lower so that it wasn't even in the way of shooting the movers. Someone wanted the stage disqualified. End result.........the results stand.