Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Five Poppers Under 2 Seconds With A Benelli

After taking second place in a local match, the winner and I set up five pepper popers like this.

__ ten yards.

X

shooter

Starting from port arms, we both were able to knock down all five in just under two seconds with a stock super 90 (after a few warm up rounds).

Although I have fooled around with combat shotguns for 25 years, this was the first time I actually shot one in a match before.

I was just curious how we would compare to the faster shooters with stock autos.

For some reason, shooting a shotgun comes very natural to me where as with a pistol I am slow and ploding. The same set up as above took me five and a half seconds with a 1911 in last Saturdays match.

In earlier PSA Shoot-off competions, shooting with barrel touching a table to start, the winning times were 1.50 or below. Roughly, it was about .5 for the first shot and .25 shot breaks. My best was 1.57, I think it was won at 1.42.

Owen,

Seems like a great place to start. I personally have seen KurtM shoot a popper, reload 4 and shoot the 4 well under 3 seconds (2.185 I believe) Correct me if I am wrong Kurt. Now that is really something to "aim" for. Although I would take the 2 seconds for 5 poppers time right now, I am working hard at reloading. My goal is to shoot 1, reload and shoot 4 in under 2.25. It is amazing what a good coach can do though, and I think we may have one of the best.

Disclaimer mode on;

Any reference to shooting shotguns or describing techniques used by the aformentioned shooter is neither for training nor actual shooting situations. Loading may be hazzardous to your health and the example shooter claims no responsibility for accident or mishap directly or indirectly related to this post.

Disclaimer mode off;

That was for you Kurt!! :D :D

Edited by mike_pinto

Why beat up on the guy over what you think is a "serious test" versus what he did? he is having some fun and was looking for results of others - not more drills.

Okay, my record was 1.36 - which is interesting to me as it is only .10 faster than my bill drill with slugs (6 rounds) at 10 yards. Wonder if that has to do with the gun movement.

Good luck to you..

I was a tenth faster than Matt, and I do believe Benny and Kelly were even a bit faster yet. :lol:

I love the disclaimer Mike it reminds me of why I love lawyers and the type who sue for no reason at all! But that is just my opinion and not the opinion of the B.E. web sight, and in no way reflects the views of Matt, Benny, Kelly, or Mike. I claim no responsibility for any slurs both intended and unintended that shooters may feel were directed at them...or something like that :D

The 2.18 is from first shot to the next shot, not all 4 and it usually takes about 2.85 for the drill of shoot 1 load 4 and shoot the remaining 4 poppers, but as Matt pointed out that wasn't the drill. I don't shoot at large poppers with a shotgun, but with USA poppers I can get it done on average of 1.73 ( of which I KNOW Benny and Kelly and now Matt can do at least 1-2 tenths faster :P KURTM

Why beat up on the guy over what you think is a "serious test" versus what he did? he is having some fun and was looking for results of others - not more drills.

Okay, my record was 1.36 - which is interesting to me as it is only .10 faster than my bill drill with slugs (6 rounds) at 10 yards. Wonder if that has to do with the gun movement.

Good luck to you..

Matt, I have your video and could not have shot as fast without it. Got my moneys worth and then some!

Thanks, Owen Sparks

• 3 months later...
If you cannot beat'um on loading, shooting almost does'nt matter.

How much time do you spend on a stage actually shooting as opposed to loading?

I think Benny has y'all on this one. I can't remember too many stages that only required 8 or 9 rounds from a fixed position and didn't use another type gun or reload...?

I think his time is great and will get better with practice!!!

Mick

A27257

• 1 month later...

My gun club has shotgun matches from May through November every year and usually we have a similar speed stage, a lot of people get it in just over two seconds, with a veriaty of weapons. Pumps included. Me I'm pretty slow on the speed stage but am getting better.

Ain't that the truth. I have been practicing at reloading over the winter and picked a couple of techniques that I will use this year. I have only been doing USPSA for a year and got hooked on multigun pretty much from the start. Hard to find the time to practice all three guns and work 12 hour shifts. The good thing is that I'm improving on loading and I guess that's what counts.

Chris