Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Choke

cmzneb

I picked up a new barrel for my 870 and it takes the Rem Chokes. My question is, which one do I purchase?

Full? Modified?

We mostly shoot at clays and pepper poppers at less than 20 yards at our local three gun matches. (And an occasional 35 yard slug shot)

I don't know much about shotguns...... :unsure: Thanks!

DO shoot slugs in a modified choke!!! I have found that to be the most accurate for Foster type slugs and have NEVER had any problems shooting slugs through a modified choke, of course I may be wrong but it is also what John Shaw recomends, and after something over 30 cases of slugs over the years I tend to agree! BTW all I ever use is a light modified choke! KURTM

Kurt's method is the best because it's simple andit's enough choke to the job done. I will switch chokes though. I'd say I use Improved 45%, Modified 45% and Full 10%.

I've never had a problem with a slug through a modified chokes either.

just like knowing your zero for rifle stages, you need to know your patterns for shotgun. each gun is different, i have all my chokes labeled with regards to what they will do on clays and steel. (steel to 25yds) (clays to 35yds) and so on. for me cyl. gets used 60 to 75% of the time, and lt. mod the rest. i've not had to use anything tighter than lt mod. yet!!!!

but i here greece has some really tight no shoot targets, imp. mod. my get used.

shoot your slugs with whatever chokes you have, and check accuracy, then remember which one it was.

Trapr

It all depends on the range and load.

Here in Florida with close ranges and heavy steel I use 1 1/8oz. loads and an open choke most of the time. Provides the weight to knock over poppers with authority and the spread to allow me to smoke through plates, the slight increase in recoil just adds to rhythm.

Out west I used Mod. most of the time.

IC used to be my choice for all round, but I switched to a modified a couple years back for fulltime use and like it better for the authority it puts into knocking a popper down. I recently did some switching back and forth for some stages with close steel (15 and under) and lotsa' clays and found the IC to be real winner on this type of stuff compared to the modified as far as the speed I can engage at. The IC is also a way, way better choice for flying clays IMHO. I now say "Both, Coach" depending on the stage.

I'm no shotgun wizard but I'm pretty convinced that Mod is the best all around choke. Cleans steel with authority even with 1oz loads.

I agree with the first part and if your talking about poppers or 8" steel plates, heck, just about anything will knock those down. The reason I use a modified is those inevitable (at least around here), large, heavy plates. I've watched too many guys with open chokes and light loads just shoot at them, and hit them, time and time again without success.

The only time I wish I had a IC is when Robert Wright (R&R Racing and spawn of the Devil :P ) sets up those "flippers" that throw up clay birds at our local 3-gun.

Oh, and my gun will put 5 Federal Tactical slugs into <2" at 50 yards running a standard modified choke.

Ed

I agree with the first part and if your talking about poppers or 8" steel plates, heck, just about anything will knock those down. The reason I use a modified is those inevitable (at least around here), large, heavy plates. I've watched too many guys with open chokes and light loads just shoot at them, and hit them, time and time again without success.

Listen...EVERYBODY agrees that I don't know shotguns, notably the local waterfowl. :blink:

I've seen actually the opposite. Small plates placed out far enough that there simply wasn't enough shot in an IC pattern to take them.

Not only is it simple..it is simply silver soldered in :D Leaving my simple mind to simply shoot instead of simply figuring out which choke it has in the middle of a simple stage :lol:

+1 with that !

I only ever use a Modified choke, for slug, buck & birdshot, I learned the pattern size & now just aim off/on acordingly, keep things simple you have more than enough other stuff to worry about once the buzzer goes off.

N

+1 on what Kurt said. IM works very good.

I also use Cly and Full just in case the satge is an all out up close hose fest or a long range one where I want a little tighter pattern.

That being said, I have shot an entire match w/o changing from IM inc. all slug stages.

Don't make it too complicated, just KNOW how your gun patterns.

At least for me, there is some shooting psychology while shooting a tighter choke. I know the pattern is tighter so I take a wee bit more time to make the shot count, which leads to less missing.

Tighter chokes definitely take steel with more authority allowing for more confidence that it's going to go if you hit it.

There is a new (?) adjustable choke available from Tru-Glo (I think) that will give you from IC to Full with a just a twist. Cost is about $80-90. But if you don't have a wide selection of chokes already, this mnay actually prove the less expensive alternate.

Jim

In this area, there are a lot of stationary clay birds on stands or occassionally launched by a popper. I run Skeet choke for this type of stage. For steel out to about 25 yeads, IC seems fine. If some deranged match director puts clays at 35-40 yards or very heavy steel, I use Mod. I have never used anything tighter then Mod. I haven't seen much difference with slugs on paper regardless of the choke in the gun.

There is a new (?) adjustable choke available from Tru-Glo (I think) that will give you from IC to Full with a just a twist. Cost is about $80-90. But if you don't have a wide selection of chokes already, this mnay actually prove the less expensive alternate.

Jim

Correct, but be careful because either 2 or 3 out of the range are ported and could bump you out of Standard Division. One of the chokes is far from clear on an initial glance at the spec that it is in fact ported, as a shooter from Argentina has recently found out to his cost.

I may as well chime in here.. When people ask about what choke for slugs, my answer is generally.. cut 1 slug of whatever brand you are using and since almost all of us use screw in chokes, see which choke the slug just fits through with finger pressure. On my Gold, the modified choke just fits my S&B slugs. If I switched up to foster slugs or whatever, I'd cut one of those and see which fit best. I like the idea of a light modified for a good between IC and Mod. I can order one like that, but what I has seems to work for me, so that's what I use. IC is better for flying clays, but if you are on, it's not much harder so long as you do your part. I've not seen flying clays all that difficult while 3-gunning. Sporting clays and trap are usually a LOT harder and I tend to use a modified for those also.

Vince