Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Benelli Differences?

Owen Sparks

Hello all.

I shot my first match and took second place using an HK Benelli Super 90 with the factory 7+1 magazine and traditional slug sights.

FUN FUN FUN!

This perticular shotgun was made in the late 1980's before the Clinton gun ban. and NEVER malfunctions. As I understand it, this model has been suplanted by others.

What changes have been made to the Benelli line of combat/tactical shotguns other than shortening the magazines? Have they messed up a good thing?

Just curious, Owen Sparks

A new M2 benelli has less muzzle flip & less recoil than the old M1's. Add a 9 rd. ext. & several mods & you have a much better gun.

Benny,

What's different with the M2 that produces less muzzle flip & less recoil?

Barry B)

Benny, do you recommend starting with a 26" hunting style M2 to build a gun, or a "Tactical"..... I'd think you would want the longer gun, rather than the 18.5" barrel..... but what do I know?

Edited by sfinney

The new stock is sooo good just the addition of it will make you shoot at least 1/4 second faster than Mr. Weakhand, and when the gun recoils it actually pulls forward out of your hands it looses so much recoil! If you switched it for your Speed Feed stock you would become the English standard semi-auto champion! Ah... wait... you already are!! Well it would be nice to be a 1/4 second faster anyway. :lol: It can't hurt! If Benny hadn't been chasing his shotgun down range in ArKansas he would have beat me in the shotgun portion of the match also! :D KURTM

You mixed up crazy kids....

I may make a new scattergun investment in the near future - I am still waiting for Mr Weakhands evaluation of the Beretta Extrema..... decisions decisions.... another new AR would be nice too.... as well as a V22 upper.....

Mike, did Benny put that in writing with the guarantee with a 50% cost reduction if it can't keep up ?? Had he been near homebrew cider when he wrote that ??? :lol:

Not in writing, but I hear Benny never BS's, so it's good as gold. Look out Mr. Weakhand, here comes the rookie!! :P I have shot the Extrema before, and although I love Beretta shotguns, the one I shot did not handle the light stuff real well. That 3 1/2" bolt is a little picky (at least on that one). I really had good luck with the Browning Gold for hunting. My train of thought is why get something that I can make run as good as a Benelli, when I can just get the Benelli!!?? Sompim to think about!

The other Mike

The new stock is sooo good just the addition of it will make you shoot at least 1/4 second faster than Mr. Weakhand, and when the gun recoils it actually pulls forward out of your hands it looses so much recoil! If you switched it for your Speed Feed stock you would become the English standard semi-auto champion! Ah... wait... you already are!! Well it would be nice to be a 1/4 second faster anyway. :lol: It can't hurt! If Benny hadn't been chasing his shotgun down range in ArKansas he would have beat me in the shotgun portion of the match also! :D KURTM

Kurt,

That description of the Comfort Tech stock isn't entirely in jest. I just picked up a 21 inch Comfort Tech, the darn thing looses contact with my shoulder after about 5 shots. I have to pull it back in again! Just something to get used to. However, my Super X Model 1 still shoots softer, just doesn't load as easily.

Dan, just shoot in burst of 4 :D Like the guys at Benelli told Mike Pinto, ( USAF shotgun team shooter and Olympic alternate,) Maybe you just don't know haw to shoot a shotgun :lol: I know what you mean the stock sure is springy! KURT

Note: I'm NOT saying that you don't know how to shoot a shotgun, I just thought it was really funny when they told Mike that! And Benellis position on anything like this is it is ALWAYS the shooter! Not the gun or design!

To add to that, he also told me to get a trainer to help learn how to mount a shotgun. Too bad they make great guns, 'cause their customer service would sink 'em. Didn't they tell you the reason that part kept breaking was the fact that you shot it too much!?

Dan, just shoot in burst of 4 :D Like the guys at Benelli told Mike Pinto, ( USAF shotgun team shooter and Olympic alternate,) Maybe you just don't know haw to shoot a shotgun :lol: I know what you mean the stock sure is springy! KURT

Note: I'm NOT saying that you don't know how to shoot a shotgun, I just thought it was really funny when they told Mike that! And Benellis position on anything like this is it is ALWAYS the shooter! Not the gun or design!

Kurt,

No offense was taken. Besides, how do you know that I don't know how to shoot a shotgun??? :lol: In comparison to others here, I probably don't. I sure have a ways to go on learning the refilling of that pipe on the bottom!

Maybe Benelli just makes that Gel Pad out of Flubber!

Hmm..... will an M2 stock fit on an M1 ? I know squat about Benellis, but may buy (by the end of the week, hard to ignore the good price!) a used M1 Field with pistol grip stock and 8 round tube already added, wondering if I could upgrade the stock to a comfort tech from an M2. Looking at pics, I'd guess they do not interchange?

Edited by sfinney

Hmm..... will an M2 stock fit on an M1 ? I know squat about Benellis, but may buy (by the end of the week, hard to ignore the good price!) a used M1 Field with pistol grip stock and 8 round tube already added, wondering if I could upgrade the stock to a comfort tech from an M2. Looking at pics, I'd guess they do not interchange?

I just got off the phone with Benelli USA.

The factory rep told me that the new comfort tech

stock will NOT fit on the older Super 90 as the receivers are different.

I had the Benelli technical rep in Italy tell me that the reason the shell cut-off latch roll pin broke was because I shot the gun too much! I guess I wouldn't put too much stock in what they tell me, I would want to see one for myself first. Now my roll pin is a solid one and it hasn't broke since, and I bet a good stock fitter could make a comfort stock fit, But Benelli knows best :lol: KURTM

Ok, I just bit the bullet and bought an M2 with the comfort tech stock - the local shop I just walked into had a used one real cheap that the customer did not like after shooting it a few months, traded for something else - its a 26" model, so now I need an extension, and 3 gun gear saddle, and eventually shorten to 24" or shorter, but for now I'll just shoot it as is and go get some dove. :D

Ok, I just bit the bullet and bought an M2 with the comfort tech stock - the local shop I just walked into had a used one real cheap that the customer did not like after shooting it a few months, traded for something else - its a 26" model, so now I need an extension, and 3 gun gear saddle, and eventually shorten to 24" or shorter, but for now I'll just shoot it as is and go get some dove. :D

Since I shoot tactical, I got the SRM extension from Brownell's. It's just a bit longer than my 21" barrel and holds 8 shells easily. It comes with all the parts needed. And, they had it in stock. (Last Monday)

Had the 21" not been available, I would have cut it to 22" or where the rib allowed, and put in Tru Chokes. I have the tooling from the old days. :)

Ok, I think I've decided to buy a 2nd barrel in 21" or so length for 3-gun for my M2 rather than cut the 26" barrel down..... I'll keep the 26" for birds and clay. I've seen a few used M2 rifled slug barrels, , etc...... nothing short and choked - but there are alot more M1 S 90 barrels on the market, Tactical 18.5 to 24", rifled and not.....

Will an M1 S 90 barrel fit an M2? Or do I have to buy an M2 specific barrel. They look similar.... but? Thanks!

Maybe I've answered my own question.... according to the Benelli site, they list some extra barrels for sale for the M2 , and in the description its says "Fits M1 and M2" so I take that as an M1 barrel should also fit on an M2....