Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Are Your Thoughts On Slide Rackers?

PistolPete

Well, I guess it is time to add a racker to my slide. I'm not going to send it out until this season is over because I don't want to be without my gun.

One other question, has anyone added a slideracker to a gun that has already been hard chromed? When talking with Brazos he said he would be able to blend it in or he would need to rehardchrome the gun. I hate to spend $500 to add a slideracker. I'm thinking of adding the racker and having him blend it in and see how it looks when the gun comes back.

Pete

Well, I guess it is time to add a racker to my slide. I'm not going to send it out until this season is over because I don't want to be without my gun.

One other question, has anyone added a slideracker to a gun that has already been hard chromed? When talking with Brazos he said he would be able to blend it in or he would need to rehardchrome the gun. I hate to spend $500 to add a slideracker. I'm thinking of adding the racker and having him blend it in and see how it looks when the gun comes back.

Pete

If anybody can do it right? Bob can surely do it. :D:D:DB)B);)

Pete

I know it's easier said than done but I would order a new SC with slideracker and shoot what you got until the new one's ready. When you get the new one, use the current as a back up or sell it. You could probably sell it and take a less than $500 hit.

a racker cannot improve shooting, it improves the manipulation of the gun during loading and unloading. I personally find them useless for me...and ugly.

For me there are more important things to spend money on besides a slide-weight thumbreaker. Buy ammo instead and practice!

As a stage designer, I like the unloaded gun starts.

With them, the shooters get a little out of their element. They know the clock is running, and they are used to the fact that they are normally shooting already. So, the delay is a distraction from the shooting...which can really bother some shooters. They rush. Shooting suffers.

All my Open guns except the Zap (Docter in the Bomar cut) have the back of the slide machined off as a lightening cut so rackers are not an option. I've seen them in use and they do make racking out a jam pretty quick. My newest blaster has an SV slide that has the wide and deep serrations machined at the very end of the sides of the slide making the "slingshot rack" a lot easier. I'm probably going to use some variation of that "rear grip" treatment on the others when I get around to it.

PS You can always take it off if you don't like it but as you are discovering it is hard to put one on sometimes. I recommend them. By the way I used to use AL which is lighter than steel but wears too quickly and now have a Ti one that is light and durable. If I got a steel one I would go small although you can take out added weight in other places.

Read Flex's post and know that smooth is usually fast so the faster you pick up the gun and the faster you load it the better your shooting is.

Flexmoney may have been talking about a slide racker I made and posted in this forum a while back http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35643. It is far enough back that it’s sure not to hit your fingers while the pistol cycles and it works great. It is though, after all, a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist in my humble opinion.