Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Are Your Thoughts On Slide Rackers?

PistolPete

I have a Brazos shorty open gun without a slide racker. The gun is awesome but I've had some issues racking the slide without the slideracker because of the offset mount. I have figured a way to rack the slide which is working much better but I'm thinking I need a slideracker. A call to Brazos and if the slide is cut to mount a slideracker I might need to have the slide rehardchromed unless he is able to blend it in. The question I have is what are your thoughts on sliderackers? I love the idea that Bedell uses with the detent ball so you can get the slide off the frame without removing the scope mount. Brazos said this wouldn't be a problem. I'm wondering if anyone has had any issues with a left mounted slide racker? Has it gotten in the way during a draw or anything? Also, is there an advantage to mounting it on the right hand side of the gun? I think from personal experience I would prefer it on the left side. Also with it being on the left side it would prop the gun up on a table start.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

I feel slide rackers are a solution looking for a problem on open guns. As long as the gun has cocking serrations on the rear of the slide, the pinch and slingshot works fine. My .38 stupor with C-More also has front cocking serrations milled into the slide and I can use an underhand pinch to open and hold the slide there too. Most open guns are lightly sprung and this type of slide operation is easy as pie, IMHO anyway.

If I need a lever on the slide to hammer the gun open against a prop during a run then stick a fork in me because I am done on that stage ;-)

Edited by George

I wouldn't have an open gun without one.....If you are going to shoot open you better have all the sjit on the gun you can because everyone else is going too....the slide racker does provide faster loading/slide racking as well as a nice litte prop for those lying flat on table/in drawer starts......

Just my 2 cents

Randal

I think they're almost a must. Unless you hold your thumbs very high and it might get in the way or you're a lefty, you should get it on the left side.

There are some who disagree and they argue that a reliable blaster doesn't need a slideracker but there are other uses besides clearing a jam or showing clear.

I couldn't say for sure but I'm willing to bet that a majority, (if not a vast majority) of the top shooters all have sliderackers.

Besides, they look cool. What other reason do you need. ;)

Edited by al503

I'm in the 'Don't need it, love to have it" category. As a lefty, it makes twisting the ejection port around for Unload & Show clear easier, it makes a nice prop on table starts, it saves half a second on unloaded starts, I can catch it on my thumb to save my ULSC round without sticking my fingers right over the ejection port, I can get Swensens or Brazos thumbguards whenever I want and on and on..

I have an early Bedell gun and I shot with the racker for a while and then noticed a few threads with comments that lead me to try it without the racker. Having shot it both ways, I would not have a gun with it. I just never experienced any of the supposed disadvantages with it on the gun, however there are a few legitimate advantages (listed above) to having one.

Try one and see.

I don't have one and wish I did. I already have the gun hard chromed so I really don't have any options to get one put on. If you have the 2005 open nationals dvd theres a stage where you can see how much of a difference it is. Its an unloaded table start and there is a big difference.

Flyin40

Edited by Flyin40

I thought they were pure evil until I watched the World Shoot DVD.

It looked like there was enough empty (unloaded) starts to make having one a

desireable.

I don't like them but I may have to make myself change my mind.

That's tough stuff! :P

FM

I'm with you in thinking about the same thing after yesterday Pete. I'm with Shred on the, "Don't need it, love to have it" category though. It would have been nice to have it but none of the top shooters on those stages had rackers, they just practice those starts. With that said, I will try one on my next gun, I figure it is a little easier to get rid of than add later should it not work for me.

If you get a racker, definitely go the ball and detent route. I had mine converted because I clean my gun after every match (gasp!) and the set screw and loctite thing got old real fast to me. My set screw was on the top of the slide, so I had to pull the slide back to loosen/tighten the screw. I guess if you had a right side racker, that would be a non issue since you could just leave it attached. Left side is what you want if you're right handed though. Anyway, I love the ball and detent system. Any good 'smith should be able to install it. It is the same kit used to install ball and detent locks on a revolver crane.

If you're right handed and you mount the racker to the left, make sure your thumb clears it on the draw. It's no fun getting off that first shot with that thumb planted firmly on it.

From videos I see of US matches compared to other countries, I can say that you might not need a racker since you guys hardly have any empty starts. But if you're shooting matches heavy on empty starts or lots of starts from weird positions, a racker can save you a few tenths or so. ;)

I'm with you in thinking about the same thing after yesterday Pete. I'm with Shred on the, "Don't need it, love to have it" category though. It would have been nice to have it but none of the top shooters on those stages had rackers, they just practice those starts. With that said, I will try one on my next gun, I figure it is a little easier to get rid of than add later should it not work for me.

That stage 2 killed me yesterday. I over loaded my mag and when I first jammed it into the mag well it didn't seat and fell out so I picked it back up, put it back in, struggled to rack my slide and guess what???? yep, the mag fell out a 2nd time. On the 3rd try I made sure it was seated before I did anything. With my gun when the hammer if forward I typically have to cock the hammer before racking the slide and this just takes way too much time. I need to try a gun with a slideracker to see if it will get in the way. Granted, if I had a slideracker on that stage my mag still would have fallen out.

Pete

I wouldn't have guessed there would have been as many members posting in favor of not having a slideracker. I have shot open guns both with and without them. For me personally I'll never have another gun without one. I do know a couple of shooters however that grip the gun in such a manner that a slideracker interferes. I like the ease of loading and unloading, the advantage it provides on table, shelf, or box starts, and especially those stages that require the gun to be empty at the start. And definitely go with the ball and detent. Once you get used to that, having to deal with a set screw is a real pain.

I have Swensons on my gun, and a Sidewinder. When the racker is built properly, it won't hit your thumbs unless you go looking for trouble purposefully. If I didn't have Swensons... I'd still use a racker, for all of the advantages named above. I consider it mandatory gear on an Open gun...

I have had them both ways, I would not have an open gun without one ever again. The problems are few and benifits greeat ranging from clearing a jam to starting unloaded to acting as a kickstand for table starts.

"If you get a racker, definitely go the ball and detent route. I had mine converted "

I like the idea of a slide racker that is easy to remove for gun cleaning. Does anyone offer a slide racker with the ball and detent? Where can I order one?

Edited by Flatland Shooter

"If you get a racker, definitely go the ball and detent route. I had mine converted "

I like the idea of a slide racker that is easy to remove for gun cleaning. Does anyone offer a slide racker with the ball and detent? Where can I order one?

You just take a regular one (I used a blank Sidewinder) and have your smith install it with the ball and detent. Here's a thread I had on it a while back. Ball and detent on slide racker

My thoughts on a "racker"? Hmmm! Is that like a 10 point racker, or maybe something bigger than a "D" cup??? Oh, excuse me, that kind of racker ... Ok.

Well, they made them legal... and they ARE useful. Should you be one of those who feels they are more trouble to your style than they are worth, then don't use one. Otherwise ... enjoy!!!

The trick is to find the one that will suit you without getting in the way as you do your dance act.

I'm one of those that can't stand them. I'm sure the majority of open shooters feel it serves a pratical purpose, but it's kind of like putting training wheels on a Harley.

It just doesn't look right. As far as table starts go, a small dowel in the upper hole on the left side of a C-more does the trick and I don't even want to get started on how rediculous unloaded starts are.

Everybody Needs A Kickstand

A point often driven home at the expense of nasty splinters and other unpleasantries whilst "pinching" ones racker-less toy off of a (weather-beaten, wood) table (start)... :wacko: