Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2007 South Carolina Sectional - Mark Your Calenders

Great match. Great stages. Great squad. It is always a pleasure shooting with members of the AMU Team. Daniel and Robby are not only great shooters they are great people too.

Both of these young men are the role models that todays youth needs to look up to.

As usual if Linda runs it it is going to be smooth and smooth it was. Thank you to Jack and all of the volunteers and ROs for a great match. Already planning for next year.

Once again, Thank you.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a wonderful match! Spoiled the hell outa me, as Ohio reminded us that it's STILL 30 degrees outside.

Linda and Jack completely outdid themselves.

It was also completely groovy meeting so many Benoverse cats at the match! I'm looking forward to seeing them all again in three weeks at Area 6!

:D

Back home in almost one piece.

Mrs. Chico, my hats off to you! You define how a USPSA should be run! Please write the book.

Mi hermano Jack Suber, I'm already looking forward to next year's match if you are the MD! WHATTA SHOW!! Excellent satge design and organization.

Micah, glad to see you made it home safe. Driving 9 hours after a match like yesterday's is quite a feat of endurance! It was great to meet you and look forward to A6.

Last year it was Nelson Jr, this year was Francisco's time for the High Junior Limited trophy. :)

In the words of the cybernetic being from the future as protrayed by Mr. Governor: I'LL BE BACK.

:D

Edited to add: Shot my game and finished at 80% of the only revo GM in attendance. After a disastrous FL State match my goal was to keep the mistakes to the minimum and I did. It's been a long time since I shot a CLEAN MATCH and I did it at South Carolina! :)

Edited by Nemo

my thanks for a fantastic match,,,thanks to all who made it possible for all the shooters to concentrate on the match and not pasting and resetting targets..a real first class showing..although i could not get away from that bastard "mike", he came and visited me 4 times during the match...just kiddin,,had a great time, thanks again...

The Mid SC Rifle Club, Linda, Jack and the rest of the crew raised the bar on how to run a top notch match. If anybody wants to know how its supposed to be done, this is the crew to ask. Thanks to all for a great time!

Nemo, glad to finally meet you. Best of luck to you and the boys at A6.

Cliff, couldn't have done as well without all your mentoring, thanks.

Well missed last years match, which i found out might not have been such a bad thing due to weather issues :)

this years match was fun.. and the weather, although a tad hot for me, was great for the match in general..

Hats off to all the RO's and the folks that put this together, no small feat to setup some of those stages..

Had a few moments of brilliance surrounded by long periods of mediocrity and a couple of seconds of yuck..

Overall though had a great Time..

Thanks Linda and all those who setup and Staffed the match...

Jeff B.

Nemo, glad to finally meet you. Best of luck to you and the boys at A6.

Cliff, couldn't have done as well without all your mentoring, thanks.

Same here, Don. It was a pleasure. You mean you're not going to A6?

(be careful with what you tell Cliff. It will cost you)

Great stages & even better weather! B) Thanks to all who put on a great show. Big thanks to Henry Swartout for some really great pricing on reloading supplies.

I guess I can't really condemn my performance ... being my 1st major match of the year, and still very un-seasonably cold in Ohio making it difficult to get some really good practice in.

I made a very large boo-boo on stage 5 "House of Pain". Yes... it was painful, and probably cost me more than I'll ever know.

But, to help balance things out for me mentally ... I was 3rd place on stage 2 "Up The Alley". And just think ... I shot at one of those targets on the right side of the 'alley' TWICE! I guess that means I could have done even better on that one. ;)

Okay, after about 30 email messages about classifications, I guess I need to post about this topic. On Tuesday before the match, I sent the USPSA office a list of every registered shooter in the match & on the waiting list. I asked them to verify current classifications in all 6 divisions & to verify current membership status. Those classifications were used for the match.

The classifications were updated on the USPSA website on Saturday April 14th. The match started on Friday April 13th. I could not run the Friday shooters under one set of classification information and the Saturday shooters using a different one. Everyone shot using the classification they had on the day the match started -- Friday.

By the way, my email makes me appreciate the shooters in the sport even more than ever. 2 shooters who moved up in class wanted to know if they needed to return the award & check, since their classifications had changed. :wub: Short answer -- nope.

One wanted me to update the guy who won Production, so it would be clear he was a Master Class shooter as well as division winner.

Hope that clears up the classification questions. Will post more later when I get caught up on paperwork.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

2007 SC Match Statistician

I had mixed feelings about this match after scoring my stage (8) all day Saturday.

I've never in my life had to record so many charlies, deltas and mikes :( Herb and I spent most of the day consoling shooters and cringing over the hits on the swingers and the static to the left of them. I've never seen so many shots taken at 10" plates before.

What started out in my mind as a simple shooting challenge (the no-shoots really didn't come into play for THAT many shooters) turned into a shooter shredder. If the bay was as big as it has been in past years, I'd have used all of it for sure and would have probably gotten shot at the banquet ;) I didn't think swingers at 12 yards, 10" plates at 15 yards, or static targets at 20 yards would be that big a deal.

I think most folks had the same attitude as Boo, but watching an 11 year old boy take around 15 minutes to shoot the stage was a major downer :( This little guy was shooting a Colt Commander .45 (or similar) with what had to be 180 PF ammo. Stopped several times and switched the gun to his left hand to wipe the sweat off his right hand, shaking his hand due to the what appeared to be pain at the same time. I was praying he'd run out of ammo, but he kept producing loaded mags. I was quite happy he did hit all the plates and beat 3 people on the stage in his division. He did not seem to have fun, but I hope I'm wrong.

My only scoring mistake resulted in a reshoot for another Junior who knocked something like 40 seconds off his time but tripled his penalty count :(

The stage just flat out murdered almost an entire squad late in the day.

The only reason I didn't start slugging tequila in huge quantities was because a squad full of Nemos showed up :D Fancisco looked like a pro at LAMR, then proceeded to shoot the stage with a fast trigger finger, hit a super smooth reload, and appeared to be having the time of his life. He had a couple of penalties, but got his hits on the long paper. He put some pressure on his brother and dad for sure.

Nelson Jr. looked just as sharp, looked to have a bunch of fun, edged out his little brother (faster time, but less points and the same penalties - They should both be proud) and put more pressure on his dad by also getting all his hits on the long paper.

Nemo rose to the challenge by only dropping 5 points on the stage (1 on the long paper).

We probably didn't have 35 people all day get hits on all the long paper, yet the 3 Nemos dominated them :) The spirit they showed really perked me up.

Other good things included the performance of our stage staff, who turned into a well-oiled machine before the match was 10 minutes old, even though 4 of them were first-timers at a match this size, and they kept it up the entire day. My wife was one of them even though she was sick and hadn't eaten enough to keep a mouse alive for 3 days.

The Mid Carolina folks were also great, with Jack giving lots of support well before the match got started. Linda was of course awesome as usual, and her timing was really perfect with the food Saturday morning.

In all reality I had a great time watching all the shooters, and the downer moments were actually pretty isolated. I also got to find out the true definition of the words "busy" and "sunburn" for sure ;)

It was pretty cool to find out my stage got the most votes for "most challenging stage to shoot". My last stage at this match was also a winner, so I've got to step it up with my next attempt.

If I were King of the match I'd have given an award to Phil Strader for "Most Class On and Off the Range", even though he had some stiff competition. The winner of the "Asshat" award will be kept secret B)

Special thanks goes to everyone for not shooting me, cussing me out, or beating me senseless for my stage....

Sorry for the long post even though there was still a lot of good memories left unsaid.

I'm not too busy to reply when one of my best stage designers is beating himself up. . .JFD a large number of shooters loved the stage, as well as considering it challenging.

I should have posted this earlier. We have a contest for our stage designers. Each shooter gets a ballot to vote for their choice for:

- Most Challenging Stage - (winner Stage 8 - Hoser Hell)

- Most Fun to Shoot Stage - (winner Stage 2 - Up the Alley)

- Best Decorated Stage - (winner Stage 5 - House of Pain)

We started the contest several years ago to challenge our stage designers and to recognize their efforts. This year, every stage in the match got votes in two of the three categories. It was the most balanced contest we have ever had.

Since we started the contest, every stage JFD has designed has won the Most Challenging award & been runner up in the Most fun to shoot category.

I don't think the match would have been very much fun if all the stages were either too easy or too tough. There were a large number of shooters (over 40) shooting their first major match ever at the SC State Match. They got a good mix of stages, that tested their skills on close shots, tight shots, long shots, moving targets, and steel.

The young shooter JFD mentioned was part of a group of 3 junior shooters that shot SC State as their first major match. One sent the application in early, and the other two were on a waiting list (including the boy you mentioned). I can tell you they were eager to shoot the match, emailing me questions every few days. They were thrilled once all three were in the match. They were in awe at some of the GM & M shooters they saw, and I spoke to all 3 while they were waiting to shoot Stage 1 (right after your stage). The youngest boy was very proud that he beat his two older and more experienced team mates.

I don't think the stage caused any permanent trauma (except possibly to JFD).

Linda Chico (L-2035)

2007 SC Match Statistician

Boo, you asked about folks shooting the left-hand swinger from the center "port".

Not many people shot it that way, probably less than 20. A lot of the super squad did, but the folks who took out the static first, then the swingers when they reappeared (really that was the first exposure as far as I'm concerned) were posting the fastest times. From my perspective it seemed like folks who relied on the middle position completely for the left swinger used up a lot of time, around 2 seconds extra.

However you know how difficult it was to take them both with a single exposure. Not very many managed it.

Ian Robson and Rob Jessee (Open and Limited) both managed it, but it was scary to watch. We were positive Ian's time @ 17.94 (next was 19.13) would easily be the best of the match until a Junior shooter by the name of Josh Sightler burned it down with a time of 15.71 with 117 points and no penalties using the same plan (center position for steel only and finishing with the long paper). Several others managed the feat but got eaten up by the plates or the long paper. More than a few picked up a mike on the close paper as well. Josh's run was simply amazing.

After watching the GMs and Ms shoot it, I think the Josh plan was the way to start off, then shoot the close paper (duh), but switch to the long paper next from 6 feet farther and THEN the steel, making up any of the frequent misses on the left swinger and first static from the center position. Using several variations of this, many just fired a round at the swinger and static without hesitation. Only a few didn't need those extra shots. The key of course was knowing if you needed to make up any shots BEFORE you got to the center position. I couldn't read minds, but a lot of good shooters didn't appear to have any idea where there 2nd shots went on at least 2 of the first 3 targets. Many took a chance their hits were there and guessed wrong. For anyone who didn't see the stage, it took a major GM+ performance to pull off the "Josh plan". These swingers were slow (except when you needed them to be), and having to wait for them to reappear took a half a lifetime.

For the rest of us humans, shooting the static with the first round, transitioning to the right swinger for 2 solid rounds, then back to the static for the 4th round; leaving the left swinger for the center position would have been the way to shoot it. Almost everyone who took 2 shots at the static before (that was their plan anyway) the swingers reappeared hit the hardcover with 1 of those shots. There were only a handful who shot it that way, and several of them got eaten up by the steel or the long paper.

I wish I could remember how Pharaoh Bender shot it, but I was distracted by his color coordination B)

I was thrilled to finish 27th in Limited on this stage with 114 points and no penalties.

For anyone at the match who doesn't remember me, check my user name and then look at your copy of the score sheet for stage 8.

Linda

Thank you for the details. Especially concerning those 3 shooters.

The look on their faces was heart breaking, and I don't think at least 2 of them even looked at their hits. I haven't shot with many young shooters, so I guess I misread the look.

I was on a squad with John Suber not long ago and after speaking with him for a few minutes I really no longer noticed his age. The young man is impressive any way you look at him. He made me think for the first time that I might not have to shoot every guy my 10 year old daughter will eventually bring home to meet me. Of course only John is safe at this point....

Matthew Pressley has shot in my squad a time or two as well, but I never had a chance to speak with him. His conduct and ability also puts him at a different level than the young shooters we're discussing, so it was a different experience for me.

The Nemo clan came afterwards, and they too were at a much higher ability level.

A good learning experience to be sure, and I'm glad I got the opportunity to see the guys just starting out.

I do want to point out that Wyatt gutted out his entire many minute experience with not a single complaint during the stage or afterwards. He did appear to be slightly pissed when he couldn't locate another loaded mag, but so did more than a few adults ;)

Other than Herb, there was not one word spoken by the staff, his squadmates, or any spectators during his run. I believe there was a collective effort to "will" the bullets to his target. When the 5th plate went down there was a sign of relief from all concerned.

Needless to say, there were a lot of shooters of all ages that really affected me at this match. I think I was everyone's #1 fan when they stepped in the box, as I was having a great time and really getting into it.

Chris

I didn't think of the stage as more than a fair test myself, but it turned out differently from what I was seeing.

We were several squads into the match Saturday and were still truthfully telling guys pissed about a D hit or worse on the long paper that there weren't 10 shooters who had even managed to get all their hits (we gave up on A hits) up to that point on the long paper.

About middle of the day we hit a few squads who shocked us with very few mikes or D hits. About time I was getting used to not having to add up multiple mikes and deltas, it started back up again.

If I had to make a guess, it was Strader's squad that scored the best hits.

I'm going to compare the penalties on all the stages tomorrow to make sure mine was the shredder it appeared to be, but a quick look at all the scores seems to confirm the "shredder" theory.

At 1 point Thursday I was set up to have 3 hardcover/no-shoot vision barriers in front of the long paper....The 3 short paper targets were going to be head shots only for quite a while....Then I decided I really didn't want the "asshat" award :ph34r:

The only reason I didn't start slugging tequila in huge quantities was because a squad full of Nemos showed up :D Fancisco looked like a pro at LAMR, then proceeded to shoot the stage with a fast trigger finger, hit a super smooth reload, and appeared to be having the time of his life. He had a couple of penalties, but got his hits on the long paper. He put some pressure on his brother and dad for sure.

Nelson Jr. looked just as sharp, looked to have a bunch of fun, edged out his little brother (faster time, but less points and the same penalties - They should both be proud) and put more pressure on his dad by also getting all his hits on the long paper.

Nemo rose to the challenge by only dropping 5 points on the stage (1 on the long paper).

We probably didn't have 35 people all day get hits on all the long paper, yet the 3 Nemos dominated them :) The spirit they showed really perked me up.

:D:D:D

JFD, thanks for the kind words! We're very glad we helped make your day! When they got to your stage my boys were a little worried. I just tell them to pick up a spot in the target where they want their shots their shots to go, and like The Patriot said "Aim small". They still need to find their speed-accuracy balance, but they did good and never cease to make me proud. :wub:

I was on a squad with John Suber not long ago and after speaking with him for a few minutes I really no longer noticed his age. The young man is impressive any way you look at him. He made me think for the first time that I might not have to shoot every guy my 10 year old daughter will eventually bring home to meet me. Of course only John is safe at this point....

I'll make sure Francisco brings John to his first date, just in case... ;)

I wish I could remember how Pharaoh Bender shot it, but I was distracted by his color coordination B)

Although, like Keen this stage provided me with my only Deltas, I shot it clean. Originally I wanted to take out the static target, then transition to the two movers on their first pass. Gravity had a different plan for me, so I went along with it ;) BTW-Thanks for not looking at me like I was crazy when I asked for an overlay :)

Again, the match was a triumph...something that bests even the better Level 3 matches.

I learned more about how to read a stage while pasting stage 8 all day then I have in all the matches I have attended in the past 5 months.

To be able to watch so many shooters of varying levels read, plan, and then attempt to execute that plan is an amazing experience. I strongly recommend to everyone find a large match and get on the staff for a stage. Even if you’re only the senior pasting monkey you will see every movement, every shot, from a different perspective then the view we normally get from the squad position.

My Hats off to Linda and Jack for an awesome match and a huge shout out to the Stage 8 staff you folks kicked ass!

:blink: Wonder what do you mean... :huh:

theshoesib5.th.jpg

:wacko::wacko::wacko:

I'm confused....

Are we looking at the blue shoes or the shaved legs.. :P

And I will allow NO smacking talking about Blue gun rigs, hell I dragged the poor man over to my car just to show him he was not ALONE!

Well, I think I have finally close to recouperating. I really had a lot of fun doing this. As y'all know, Linda has it down to a science so my job was easy.

The RO's really did all of the hard work and I am very grateful for their effort. None of this could be done without them. We actually had a waiting list for ROs!!! Wow! BTW, I got out to the range around 10:45 Sunday morning to help take down stages and was amazed to discover that ALL of the stages were already taken down! These folks worked their rears off!

Our club President (Tom Thompson), VP (Julie Holling), and Range Engineer (Roy Mullis) really worked hard at getting the range ready for the match (at least 2 months worth of work). They built the camping facilities, the bathrooms and showers, the new safe areas, and widened and graded the bays. Above and beyond. Tom literally has been at the range everyday for two months except for when he went to the SHOT Show.

Next year - Same place. April 12. Linda, Tom, Julie, Tim, and I had a de-briefing dinner last night and we are already puting together ideas for next year. We will continue to try to improve. We are trying to work out an online registration with credit cards. Also, we know there were issues with the hotel so there will be a new hotel next year. Believe it or not, I am already thinking about stages for next year (I guess I am still delirious).

I really enjoyed seeing all of the different ways people shot the stages. That was my goal - to have several options available to the shooter.

Again, thanks to all of those who attended. We really appreciate your support. Take care and I look forward to seeing y'all soon.

Watching young Wyatt shoot was one of the most painful and at the same time hopeful experiences. Nothing is going to help that young man control that gun except growth and muscle, but he gives it one serious effort with magazines stored everywhere! Makes me feel that my "well, I have blown this so why worry about the next stage" attittude is somewhat beneath me. Plus it is great to see 10 sec shooters watching a 10 minute shooter and giving out nothing but praise and support.

Linda

Thank you for the details. Especially concerning those 3 shooters.

The look on their faces was heart breaking, and I don't think at least 2 of them even looked at their hits. I haven't shot with many young shooters, so I guess I misread the look.

Matthew Pressley has shot in my squad a time or two as well, but I never had a chance to speak with him. His conduct and ability also puts him at a different level than the young shooters we're discussing, so it was a different experience for me.

The Nemo clan came afterwards, and they too were at a much higher ability level.

A good learning experience to be sure, and I'm glad I got the opportunity to see the guys just starting out.

I do want to point out that Wyatt gutted out his entire many minute experience with not a single complaint during the stage or afterwards. He did appear to be slightly pissed when he couldn't locate another loaded mag, but so did more than a few adults ;)

Other than Herb, there was not one word spoken by the staff, his squadmates, or any spectators during his run. I believe there was a collective effort to "will" the bullets to his target. When the 5th plate went down there was a sign of relief from all concerned.

Needless to say, there were a lot of shooters of all ages that really affected me at this match. I think I was everyone's #1 fan when they stepped in the box, as I was having a great time and really getting into it.

Someone tell me if there is another kid running around named John Suber. Not sure if I know who JFD is referring to? :D Seriously, thanks for the compliments Jerry.

I thought your stage was very challenging and offered various options to shoot it. I had numerous compliments about the stage and how challenging and fun it was. I got out of time with the swingers so that cost me a second or two...I would have loved to have another crack at the stage.

I really enjoy seeing the kids coming up in the sport. Josh Sightler has been great to watch. He worked major matches with his father LONG before he started shooting. Matthew Pressley will be one to watch. Nemo has done a great job with his boys and they are always a pleasure to be around. I have really enjoyed seeing how they have improved. Then there was this "flash" I kept seeing by the name of Daniel Horner (who is still a kid to me - sorry Daniel). Wow!

Thanks again for your help, Jerry.

Watching young Wyatt shoot was one of the most painful and at the same time hopeful experiences. Nothing is going to help that young man control that gun except growth and muscle, but he gives it one serious effort with magazines stored everywhere! Makes me feel that my "well, I have blown this so why worry about the next stage" attittude is somewhat beneath me. Plus it is great to see 10 sec shooters watching a 10 minute shooter and giving out nothing but praise and support.

He really is shooting too much gun....a 45 with factory ammo. That much power and recoil with that small of a frame is rough. Hopefully, someone will get him a 9mm to shoot..