Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting Gun From Super To 9mm

Bergie

This topic may have been covered before but I didn't find it on the forum. I may not have looked hard enough either. Sorry

I have a .38 Super race gun that works flawlessly but I would like to switch it to 9mm major mainly because the brass is virtually free...as opposed to $100.00/1,000.

What does it take to switch a .38 Super over to 9mm?

Can I still keep the same slide and just replace the barrel and comp?

Do I have to have a slide with an interechangeable breech face?

Who do you reccomend to send it to for the work?

Bergie

This topic may have been covered before but I didn't find it on the forum. I may not have looked hard enough either. Sorry

I have a .38 Super race gun that works flawlessly but I would like to switch it to 9mm major mainly because the brass is virtually free...as opposed to $100.00/1,000.

What does it take to switch a .38 Super over to 9mm?

Can I still keep the same slide and just replace the barrel and comp?

Do I have to have a slide with an interechangeable breech face?

Who do you reccomend to send it to for the work?

Bergie

Right off the bat, there are two fast ways to acomplish what you want. Of course a little more info (on your gun) would help. Should you be using SVI/Infinity mags it would help, as regular STI .38 Super mags are known to be a little bit more finnicky when fed the 9mm rounds. But you might be lucky and your mags will work just as well with both: it happens.

The first fast way, (and the one I would recommend) would be to obtain and install a new barrel and comp in your existing set-up. This allows you to possibly switch back and forth for easy comparison between the two calibers. You may need to tweak your extractor, maybe not. The second fast way, ( and more economical) would be to just replace the barrel, retaining your present compensator. But then you would be strictly committed to 9mm only.

There are a number of 'smiths that post here that can handle your conversion, including possibly someone local to your area. Make some phone calls, and check schedules and costs. Have fun with it.