Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Big Is The Purse?

m1a convert

I know that at the local level you are happy to get a paper certificate. At what level does there start to be a purse for winning?

How large do the purses get?

PS Not looking for the money, it is a question I need answered for a business decision.

I just got a purse; its blue, has a shoulder strap, and says "Dillon" on the side of it.

Cash prizes are rare in big USPSA matches these days. A couple Area matches are advertising cash paybacks this year, but I don't know how much. Prize table matches usually start around the state and area level, though some others have them too. The sponsor base is small enough that there's not a ton of money and prizes available.

Steel Challenge pays (optional) cash for the top 20 or so. After about 10 people stop taking the cash in favor of prizes (which are very good at the SC). I think they're claiming a $370,000 table this year.

GSSF pays small amounts of cash to people that place and a free gun to the winner(s)

FWIW, nobody is making a living off match winnings and only a few would even meet the IRS reporting requirements.

Prize money in decent amounts is NEVER found in this sport.

Prizes are typically merchandise and guns WHEN there is a prize table. As Shred said, cash is rare and the amounts are not large in most cases anyway.

Q: Heard the one about the Professional IPSC Shooter?

A: He was in it for the money! :P

If you want to make money shooting you need to shoot flyers (live pigeons) or trap at the real big shoots (Grand American, and the satallite grands and the larger state shoots ie : Pennsylvaina State, Maryland State.)

The big money is in flyers and you can travel all over the world shooting them.

Business Decision is this.

I make enough money in my other business. I am trying to find a way to make shooting tax deductible. In order for a business to be allowed by the IRS it has to be ran like a business with a forseeable chance of returning a profit.

If the forseeable chance (however slight) isn't there, than the IRS disallows the deductions.

I am not looking at trying to live off of this, just if there is a chance that one COULD make a living doing it.

Thanks for your patience. I know this is my first post on this forum and it is very non-standard. I usually spend my time lurking on forums and shooting without posting.

Thanks

Most of the top dawg professionals in the IPSC shooting community make most of their money from training/teaching. Their match/travel/gear/ammo expenses are typically covered by their sponsors and the prize table merchandise gleanings they win are usually sold off ASAP to generate some added cash. Prizes are far from the lions share of their income.

If you want to get good deals on gear, hang around the exit line from a prize table at a major match and offer cash to the top winners for the guns and other expensive toys they grab off the table. They will usually jump on cash in fist offers and some really good deals can be had this way ;-)

Business Decision is this.

I make enough money in my other business. I am trying to find a way to make shooting tax deductible. In order for a business to be allowed by the IRS it has to be ran like a business with a forseeable chance of returning a profit.

If the forseeable chance (however slight) isn't there, than the IRS disallows the deductions.

I am not looking at trying to live off of this, just if there is a chance that one COULD make a living doing it.

Thanks for your patience. I know this is my first post on this forum and it is very non-standard. I usually spend my time lurking on forums and shooting without posting.

Thanks

Sponor yourself with your other business. Advertising expense. It might be stupid advertising from a business standpoint, but wear a shirt, bring cards and talk about business. That is probably the most common way I see people writting it off.