Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger P95 Any Mods For Compititon?

XAFSP

I am getting a Ruger P95 9mm and wondr what if any I should do to make it better for USPSA shooting. other than the normal many extra mags and lotsa practice.

Tim

Tim,

Off the top of my head, (I owned a p85 a long time ago) the quick fixes would be some grip tape, if they still have hard plastic grips. Also, it could probably use some better sights, the rear looks pretty shabby.

Everything else is candy until you get to the top echelon of shooting. I honestly don't think that a gun that goes bang every time is any kind of handicap in Production. Just practice mag changes, a lot.

H.

Well, the fact that you're asking probably means the gun is good to go as it is ;)

You'll find out for yourself (as you practice a lot) which mods you want and which ones you don't want.

The few mods I did to my guns are very specific to my way of shooting.

I used a Ruger P85 years ago shooting IPSC. Aside from the long trigger pull..it did it's job. I recommend the Hogue rubber grips and a Wolff tune up kit.

Other then that, have at it.

I still own that gun and trust my life with it.

Oops... I meant the Wilson Combat tune up kit.

Custom Tune Spring Kit, Ruger P85. 20# Reduced Power Hammer Spring, Extra Power Firing Pin Spring, 9# Reduced Power Recoil Spring, and 12# Extra Power Recoil Spring. Pkg. Includes: Mainspring (Hammer Spring), Firing Pin Spring, Extra Power Recoil Spring and Reduced Power Recoil Spring.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_spring_ct_non1911.asp

I put reduced power hammer springs in my P89 and P93 and they did lighten up the action some. Still pretty heavy, though, compared to most of my other pistols.

I tried the HiViz fiber optic front sight, too. The smallest dot size is still too big for the notch in the rear sight, so you have to come up with a funky way to align your sight picture to get consistent hits.

As much as I like my Rugers, the lack of aftermarket support is definitely a downer!

Jim

I know you don't want to be talked out of this gun..... but if your buying to shoot in general it's a great gun. to carry they work and go bang! but if just to compete, there are numerous reasons it is not competitive.

i tuned one once as a toy. High Viz or Tru glow sights. good action job with over travel stop (rugers have tons of over travel. (a couple of ways to do this neither home shop friendly) but a set of lighter springs and some grip tape will get you a long way.