Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wst For 40 Sw Ipsc

NogNog

I have been reloading 40's using VV n320 for a while, but I find that it is very hard to get VV n320 in Canada. I am in my last pound now so I want to try WST. I bought a pound of WST powder and want to try loading it for 40 SW 180 grns head (oal = 1.150-1.170).

Could you guys share your experience using WST? :)

Thanks in advance

I used 5.0 grains behind a 180 jhp to make major. Worked well , just a little bit sooty is all.

Are you loading long; 1.200 OAL?? I am looking for an alternative powder. I am running low on my 320s. Local retailer wants 27 dollars a pound. I usually get my 320s at major matches but has been a little scarce this year.

Edited by bulm540

I used 5.0 grains behind a 180 jhp to make major. Worked well , just a little bit sooty is all.

Are you loading long; 1.200 OAL?? I am looking for an alternative powder. I am running low on my 320s. Local retailer wants 27 dollars a pound. I usually get my 320s at major but has been a little scarce this year.

With the burn rate of WST based on what I saw from the smokeless gun powder burn rate chart, it is just under the n320. It looks like WST will be a good alternative for N320. (at least the way I look at it - we'll see how it goes when I star using it). Of course IMHO N320 is still far more superior in quality and accuracy in my experience. Price is not the problem here up north, it is just way toooooo hard to get them here at the North side of the border. Only if it is not that hard to import gun powder from the US.... <SIGH>

Edited by NogNog

factory 40 ammo is loaded with a variant of WSF.

for precision coated bullets, wst is better than Titegroup, but when it comes to jacketed or plated...ill go for the Titegroup.

I also think WST with 200 grain precision bullets is the softest major 40 load you can get...its just a little spooky with pressure

My first .40 Major loads were with Master Blaster's coated bullets and WST. If I ran out of N320, I would use it in a pinch. My only complaint with the powder is that I couldn't get the ES down compared to Titegroup or N320. Accuracy didn't seem to suffer, and as long as I ignored this issue I was a happy camper. Velocity does change with temperature... I have shot about 10K round of that load, and I didn't have an issue. OAL was 1.180", WSR primers, and I think 4.8-5.0gr of powder.

-HTH

My first .40 Major loads were with Master Blaster's coated bullets and WST. If I ran out of N320, I would use it in a pinch. My only complaint with the powder is that I couldn't get the ES down compared to Titegroup or N320. Accuracy didn't seem to suffer, and as long as I ignored this issue I was a happy camper. Velocity does change with temperature... I have shot about 10K round of that load, and I didn't have an issue. OAL was 1.180", WSR primers, and I think 4.8-5.0gr of powder.

-HTH

I help my buddy chron with WST and the Velocity would vary so much that he ended up going to 5 gr of N320 loaded to 1.165 with an 180gr MG JFP.

I have found WST to be an excellent powder in 40 S&W and 45 ACP loads.

The following data is from the WW 14th Edition reloading manual:

40 S&W - 155 gr. JHP

5.5 gr. WST = 980 fps = 24000 psi

6.0 gr. WST = 1040 fps = 27900 psi

40 S&W - 180 gr. JHP

4.0 gr. WST = 780 fps = 21800 psi

5.0 gr. WST = 900 fps = 28100 psi.

For light loads I have used 3.6 to 3.9 gr. of WST with FSP and 155 to 180 gr. lead, plated, or jacketed bullets. Great in my S&W 646, 610, PO16-40 and CZ-40.

Thanks for all the replies to my query guys. :):)

Well, I went to try some loads at the range today using WST, but did not bother to chrono the loads. I tried the following in my STI Edge 40 & my son's stock Para 16-40 ltd both 5" bbl:

180 Grns TCFM Zero bullet heads

WSP primers

batch of 4.2, 4.7 & 5.0 grains WST loads

OAL 1.155

I was very pleased with the recoil from the WST loads. Mind you I only tested some minor rounds, but still the muzzle flip of the gun were very minimal compared to VV N320.

Accuracy was around 2-3 inch spread from 20 yards (I am not a good shooter). Needless to say the result was very encouraging to me. We will see when I start chrono-ing the loads especially now were getting close to fall/cold season here up in Canada. :):) I am really curious/anxious to see how temperature changes affects the performance/velocity of WST loads. I guess we will see soon....... :P

Keep those info coming guys.. and again your input is much appreciated. Cheers!! :):)

I went 166.0 at 2005 area 4 shooting 5.0 grains WST and a precision 185 at 1.135 oal

i was using Win small mag pistol primers..

Never again!

that load made 173 power factor at my house that morning when it was 75 degrees, at 100 degress, it was almost minor.

Thats my caveat for the day

Harmon

• 3 weeks later...
I went 166.0 at 2005 area 4 shooting 5.0 grains WST and a precision 185 at 1.135 oal

i was using Win small mag pistol primers..

Never again!

that load made 173 power factor at my house that morning when it was 75 degrees, at 100 degress, it was almost minor.

Thats my caveat for the day

Harmon

I found out last year that WST is inverse temperature sensitive - the hotter it is, the slower it is. I built a .45 ACP load using WST right before the IDPA Nationals that made 175 PF. It was about 80 the day I chronoed it. A week later in Little Rock with the temperature about 100 it was about 160 PF. We tried letting it set in the sun for a few minutes and it just made it worse. Threw a moonclip in the ice chest for a few minutes and it came in at 170 PF. Needless to say, I looked elsewhere.

Just put together a 175PF load using Berry's 180 RN and 5.8 WST for my 646 revolver.

Edited by COF