Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Texturing?

JesterXD40

Yes.

Tactical Journal came in today and Ken Hackathorn said to keep your soldering iron away from your plastic pistol if you wanted to shoot SSP.

What about aftermarket textured grips? ;);)

Yes.

Tactical Journal came in today and Ken Hackathorn said to keep your soldering iron away from your plastic pistol if you wanted to shoot SSP.

My Tac Journal just came and after reading the referenced article, Mr. Hackathorn

only addresses the frame and does not address removable grip panels.

Per the current rule book:

SSP Permitted Mods

Rule #2.

"Grips may be changed to another style or material that is similar to factory configuration (no weighted grips): see " weighted grips" in glossary for further details."

You can change grip panels to aftermarket textured grips.

Or so it seems. ;);)

I would think so, based on the rule TxD quoted, but I am not Bill Wilson or Robert Ray.

By the way, Dan, as long as we have you on the line...

What is the chance of getting drop-in modified Plastic M&P trigger parts a la Glock/Vanek?

I am NRA Mechanically Inept and would not care to attack the works of a gun even with the well illustrated instructions you provide.

But shipping the gun would likely cost more than the trigger job - cost me $75 to FedEx a P226 to Bruce Gray; Alabama to California.

Edited by Jim Watson

You think like this would be OK bu IDPA rules?

SharkSide.jpg

Thanks,

Dan

I want to say no because that is not an aftermarket part but it a seriously grey area and I dobut and MD will ever say anything about it. For me this is one of the dumber IDPA rules and I shoot more IDPA than USPSA. I see no difference between that treatment you do to an M&P than adding an aftermarket product like tru-grip. Both serve the same exact purpose it shouldn't matter if one is reversable and the other is not.

As a side note Hackathorn is no longer on the BOD and while he loves to pontificate in the Tactical journal his opinions are just that. Unless HQ declares it illegal Hackathorn is not the final word on rules interpretation.

You think like this would be OK bu IDPA rules?

SharkSide.jpg

Thanks,

Dan

I want to say no because that is not an aftermarket part

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, even if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck,

it could be an aftermarket duck. :P

Edited by TxD

I don't know what you silly gamers are trying to pull.... that's only a whisker from a compensater and a red dot sight!!! Nobody would ever have something like that on a real gun that was carried on the street... :rolleyes:

DanO

[sARCASM MODE OFF]

By the way, Dan, as long as we have you on the line...

What is the chance of getting drop-in modified Plastic M&P trigger parts a la Glock/Vanek?

I am NRA Mechanically Inept and would not care to attack the works of a gun even with the well illustrated instructions you provide.

But shipping the gun would likely cost more than the trigger job - cost me $75 to FedEx a P226 to Bruce Gray; Alabama to California.

Jim,

This is something I have been wanting to do. However I have not had enough time to check it out in enough guns (I don't keep the guns long enough). I could certainly send out some modified parts but I would not be able to remove as much of the overtravel and the reset as I could with the whole gun here. as there seems to be a bit of variability between guns. send me a PM or email and we could discuss this further.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Jim, wait until you see my latest ESP gun. I got the .40 STI working, next is the .45ACP top end. How does a STI .45 widebody shooting a 200 gr SWC at 640 fps sound? Am I violating the "spirit" of IDPA with these thoughts? Maybe a 230 gr bullet at 550 fps would be better.

Jim, wait until you see my latest ESP gun. I got the .40 STI working, next is the .45ACP top end. How does a STI .45 widebody shooting a 200 gr SWC at 640 fps sound? Am I violating the "spirit" of IDPA with these thoughts? Maybe a 230 gr bullet at 550 fps would be better.

\

I don't think you will like it,you will be waiting forever for the slide to cycle :D

Been there and done it. :ph34r:

pat

Pat,I keep hearing folks talking about waiting on the slide. I guess I just shoot too slowly to realize that. I shot the 200 gr load in my Kimber 45 several times. I was able to get .13 splits - something most folks never do in a match. Most IDPA matches do not have the close in "hosefest" type target setups.

I guess my main reason for shooting something like this is to "thumb my nose" at BW. :P

Pat,I keep hearing folks talking about waiting on the slide. I guess I just shoot too slowly to realize that. I shot the 200 gr load in my Kimber 45 several times. I was able to get .13 splits - something most folks never do in a match. Most IDPA matches do not have the close in "hosefest" type target setups.

I guess my main reason for shooting something like this is to "thumb my nose" at BW. :P

:D I know what you mean,we have some tact-billies here that go nuts when I shoot light loads,I have a Para/Sti with 130 pf loads its like shooting a 22.

Light loads in a 40 are ok for me,but I just never liked the way the 45 timed with the light loads,but it do stir the pot :D

pat

Texturing your grips, does that make you into an ESP if your in SSP?

Getting back on topic.

Clearly ESP.

The really bitching and moaning is going to be when people remove the mag safety and their gun is declared illegal. I haven't seen a ruling from HQ yet. THough it might be moot since S&W makes the gun available from the factory that way. The difference only being is the warning is added to the slide on the non-mag safety equipped M&P's.

Mark

Edited by Mayonaise

• 1 year later...

I hate to bump an old thread, but this is a question I'm currently wanting the answer to, and the search function did me no good (I guess too many people have M&P in their signatures, because using that in a search yeilds 20 dozen results).

Because the grip panels are removable, and #2 of the permitted modifications for SSP is "Grips may be changed to another style or material that is similar to factory configuration..."

..is it legal for a person to buy additional grips for their M&P that are re-textured for additional friction?

...edit: I don't own an M&P, just SO research.

Edited by RobMoore

I hate to bump an old thread, but this is a question I'm currently wanting the answer to, and the search function did me no good (I guess too many people have M&P in their signatures, because using that in a search yeilds 20 dozen results).

Because the grip panels are removable, and #2 of the permitted modifications for SSP is "Grips may be changed to another style or material that is similar to factory configuration..."

..is it legal for a person to buy additional grips for their M&P that are re-textured for additional friction?

...edit: I don't own an M&P, just SO research.

I don't see why it should be a problem...which means it probably is.