Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Minor

steel1212

I'm currently shooting a 9mm 1911 in esp IDPA and SS/lim10 IPSC. I have a good load worked up with the 121 grain haps but I see a lot of people use 147 grain pills for a "softer" minor load.

If thats the case do you use the 147 to make the 125pf and its a softer recoil for quicker follow ups? Is the recoil/follow up really that noticeable over a 121-125 pill? If so I guess I need to order some zeros as hornady doesn't make any big haps.

I shoot Hornady'a 147 Grain RN TC over 3.1-3.3 gr TG, OAL 1.150, Last chrono at Major MAtch was 135 PSF. Gun CZ 85 (BBl 4.7")

The Hornandy Non Taps are better than 90% of all else out there, the only other bullets as good are certain montana golds and believe it or not remington.

Midway usually has great prices on the Hornady 147 RN's TC

Thanks,

Jon

I feel that the 147's are a lot softer, but I don't like them in a heavy slide gun like a 1911. They feel sluggish, the gun doesn't have any snap in it and it feels like it takes too long to cycle. Now we both know that isn't actually true, but that is what it feels like to me. In a heavy slide gun the 124's are about right for me, I have been loading Zero 124 FMJFP with 3.7 Clays at 1.130", it makes minor out of my G17 and everything else I have tried it in. In the G17 the 147 feels great and not quite as sluggish but it still feels a little slow. It is really shootable with them. In the Beretta 92 types the 147 is as good as it gets to me, the slide still feels like it operates smartly and it jumps less than my Buckmark 22. Feels like a compensated gun but without the noise or handslap.

The only thing for you to do is get some and try them.

Yeah, I'm definatly going to have to get some and try them. The only problem is I need to get a chrono as well! Anybody have a minor load with 5" 1911, TG, and 121 haps? The best load I have so far is 4.4 and it makes a nice little group at 15 yards but I don't know if it will make PF or not?

Edited by steel1212

I useta' shoot a "mousefart" 147 load at just over minor PF but much prefer a 124 at the same PF nowadays because the gun cycles faster and the front sight seems to track better even with a tad more muzzle flip.

I used the MouseFart 147 load when I was a noob because the softer perceived feel made me think I was shooting faster. The truth of the matter took a few years to uncover and that was the 147 load was letting me muscle the gun back on target in a jerky manner whereas the 124 being snappier actually made me chill out and just watch the sight through the snappier muzzle flip and wait for the sight picture to return.

I found that I was shooting more A's on the follow-up shot with the snappier loading because I was more aware of letting the front sight come right back to where it was before.

Capiche' ?

100%

I've got a small 500 box of 121 haps I'm working with right now and I've just about got those dialed in. I'm thinking that the 4.3-4.4 of titegroup at 1.15 oal out of my 1911 is going to be the ticked with them. I have some test loads from 4.5-4.8 I wanna try but I'm thinking I'll get to 4.6 and it won't be worth going any farther.

On a side note, anybody done any comparisions of the 125 vs the 121 haps being any diffrent: accuracy, follow ups?

Edited by steel1212

I useta' shoot a "mousefart" 147 load at just over minor PF but much prefer a 124 at the same PF nowadays because the gun cycles faster and the front sight seems to track better even with a tad more muzzle flip.

I used the MouseFart 147 load when I was a noob because the softer perceived feel made me think I was shooting faster. The truth of the matter took a few years to uncover and that was the 147 load was letting me muscle the gun back on target in a jerky manner whereas the 124 being snappier actually made me chill out and just watch the sight through the snappier muzzle flip and wait for the sight picture to return.

I found that I was shooting more A's on the follow-up shot with the snappier loading because I was more aware of letting the front sight come right back to where it was before.

Capiche' ?

I don't notice any differnce in times, just feel...

But then again I'm running 135 PF, might pop it up to 140-145 with the 147, just for a little more punch on steel.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

I used both & agree that the 147's feel sluggish to me in my 1911 9mm. In my XD9 Tactical I tried the 147's, but I didn't like the feel of the recoil either. I then went to the 124's JHP's with 4.1 of 320. Snappier than the 147's, but I like the way it tracks like George stated. In the XD it was with the factory 18 lb recoil spring. 9lb (?) factory spring in the 1911.

I really found no time difference either, just better points because the extra muzzle flip of the snappier round made me actually watch what I was doing on the second shot ;-)

When I mentioned that the gun cycles faster with the snappier round, I meant that it feels like it is because of the sharper muzzle flip. Kinda' like an engine that is revving faster with a lighter flywheel ;-)

When I mentioned that the gun cycles faster with the snappier round, I meant that it feels like it is because of the sharper muzzle flip. Kinda' like an engine that is revving faster with a lighter flywheel ;-)

Now thats something I can relate to. I run a billet flywheel in my 65 mustang ;-)